How To Survive The Dorms Without A Meal Plan

Prove the Freshman 15 Wrong!

593
Google

There comes a time when you just can’t pull yourself to go to the cafeteria to eat yet another horrible meal made by the food service. Unless you go to a school where the cafeteria food is really good, you definitely got lucky! As for the rest of us, the struggle is real.

There is nothing more embarrassing than stinking up the bathroom you share with 3 other girls, using Febreze to hopefully make your bathroom smell somewhat great again…. blame the cafeteria food/meal plan. You feel as if you can’t even go to breakfast or lunch anymore because you just know how your stomach is going to react. It’s awful.

This year, I was able to change my meal plan so I didn’t have to get meals from the cafeteria and still live in the dorms. I make my own meals in my dorm and use the kitchen provided in the lobby as well as convince my mom to me frozen meals. I have learned to stay on a budget when it comes to making a trip to the store. Often, I may go and spend way more money and buy more than what was on my list, so it’s a real good thing that Walmart has cheaper prices.

By making my own meals and not having to worry about fulfilling the meal plan requirement per week or wasting unused money, I am able to eat somewhat healthier and save. Living on campus is expensive, wherever you decide to go to school, and most of the time, the dining services may not offer the best selection when it comes to good or healthy food.

Here are a few healthy items you could add to your grocery list:

1. Fruit

Fruit is great for oatmeal, smoothies or something to snack on while you get your homework done; another option could be dried fruit which you can take on the go!

2. Chicken

Most grocery stores sell a rotisserie chicken or already prepared chicken. By using this pre-made chicken, you can easily throw it into a pasta dish or add it onto a salad.

3. Nuts

Nuts have been proven to help students study and complete their homework more efficiently; and you might want to grab two bags, in case you eat the first bag in one sitting!

4. Yogurt

Trade the cafeteria yogurt for a healthier choice. Most yogurts come in all sorts of brands and flavors and it is a great snack for on the go or as a breakfast substitute, and you could even add some granola to add some crunch!

5. Rice and Quinoa

Most stores sell packets of rice medley meals that you just heat up in the microwave. These meals are not only fulfilling and healthy, but they can be mixed with chicken or another meat or vegetable.

When we come to college, everyone warns us about the Freshman 15 but in all honesty, you don't actually gain 15 pounds (if you decide to hack the system and not eat the dining hall food). By saving on the unhealthy choices and number of trips to the bathroom, YOU can easily be one of the college students that could prove the Freshman 15 wrong. Ditch the cafeteria food and make your own food! I promise it will be worth it, and it will most definitely be a healthier option.

But there are always options to choose from, it just depends on whether or not you want to trust yourself to spend less money on food or keep the same meal plan you currently have.

*Take my advice and opt out of the meal plan*