Surviving College When You're Not Feeling Okay

Put away the tissues and get to work

26

This semester has proved to be quite the challenge for me because I've been dealing with a whole lot of health issues. At the beginning of the semester, I was hit with kidney infections and it continued from there. Finding the motivation to write that ten page essay you've been putting off to the very last minute can but hard but that last ounce of energy is almost impossible to find while sick. I've learned through this experience that health is really the most important aspect of life especially when you're trying to study and make those As. I'm not gonna lie to you and say that with just a little more Vitamin C and sleep you'll make it through. Surviving college with little energy can be tough but you can do it. I've found that setting a list of smaller and more manageable goals can help you to feel more accomplished and avoid the dreaded oh no moment when the work begins to pile up. Chai tea becomes a healthier alternative to my usual iced mocha or a vanilla latte. You'll thank me later.

At the end of the day, you're in college to get that degree and you can't walk across that stage without your health. The easiest and most important step to feeling better faster is to get sleep. I used to stay up till 2am most nights binge watching Grey's Anatomy or Dexter. Now, I put my laptop away so I don't hate myself the next morning. I have also decided to take naps more often throughout the day. Last semester, I would take a nap right after class and end up sleeping two hours, sometimes even right through dinner. I would wake up feeling groggy and unmotivated for the rest of the night. Instead, I try to eat smaller meals and be productive when I have the most possible energy. I have to take advantage of the moments when I'm feeling okay because life is unpredictable. Classes and assignments won't stop if you stop.

I have become a stronger and more resilient version of myself after all of this. Some days I felt like curling into a ball under the covers and drinking tea but I have my friends to thank for encouraging me to keep going. They often bring me a Panera or a chocolate chip muffin in order to cheer me up and sit with me while I study. One thing is for sure: I wouldn't have made it through without them. Sometimes even the littlest acts of kindness are enough to brighten up the whole day. I've found that I have to be as appreciative as possible, especially on the days I'm feeling okay. This renewed perspective has allowed me to focus on the things that are most important to me and not to mention that I have a huge appreciation for any class that doesn't start in the crazy early hours of the morning. I have a wonderful support system of my friends, boyfriend, and family that has made this all possible. If you're ever facing a serious illness in college, take a deep breathe because it'll be okay.