How I Survived My First Year In NYC

How I Survived My First Year In NYC

Why I have absolutely fallen in love with this city.

15
How I Survived My First Year In NYC
Tom Todoroff Studio

New York City is a place of many things. It has both the brightest and darkest days with pretty much everything in the middle, sometimes all being in a 24-hour period. Moving here a year ago from the small safe city of Seattle, Washington, you could say New York was a bit of an adjustment for me. The first time I got on a 2/3 train during rush hour, it blew my mind that the city's laws would dare let that many people be in that small of a space. There was no need to hold on, as the bodies were literally packed in so tight that no one could have a chance of falling over. Plus, there's the fact that I could stay up three consecutive days studying non-stop for a grade that may or may not work out, but heck its worth the shot, and not pass out of exhaustion. Or, handing out resume after resume, for weeks straight and not having one single response compared to back home where this would have resulted in several job offers to choose from. And should we not leave out how expensive everything can be while you are trying to find these jobs. I never dreamed that a bag of shredded cheese would be close to seven dollars.

It is unique with the fact that while you are in New York it sort of turns into a type of time warp. Some days feel like forever. Working on papers or being at work during busy hours can make one feel like their soul may never escape this crazy mess, trapped in an eternity of crowded rushing people. With all this being said, however, I think that right now, after all the craziness, I have never been as in love with this city as I am at this very moment. You want to know why? Although there are the moments that feel dragged out, there are also the moments that I want to last forever and never forget. When I walk through FiDi late at night, tired from working nine hours, there is the stock exchange all lit up. Or going on a summer movie date in Bryant Park while gazing up at the sunset over Manhattan and watching everyone get up and start dancing with the music to the movie, almost as if our souls were somehow attached and in unison at that very moment. Being up so late that the sun starts to come up, while having deep life talks with a close friend or maybe even a person that just entered your life that night. Siting in a coffee shop and having a random woman come up to you and saying, “Girl you know I am having a rough day, but can I say something… live your life however the fuck you want, you live once and tomorrow isn’t promised. This city will give it all to you if you don’t let the shit get to you," when she then walks out of your life just as quickly as she came, however leaving a sticking message that I will most definitely be remembering for quite some time.

New York City is a city of constant flow and chaos, while literally never stopping, as it is deemed the city that never sleeps and holds true to that. No, it is not easy. Actually, it is far from that. I think that people say if you can make it here you can anywhere, because honestly, living here takes guts and courage and patience all at the same time and even sometimes in the same day. With all this being said though, for these exact reasons, I am more in love with my city than I have ever been.