How you and your relationship can survive being apart

Long distance is hard. No matter if you're new in a relationship or if you've been together for years, it's hard to spend time away from each other. You just want to be close to them, but instead, they're thousands of miles away. My girlfriend and I live apart for a couple months every year, and it's never fun.

The important thing to remember is that it's hard but it's not impossible. There are ways to keep your relationship going and to continue to work together until you can see each other in person again.

So no matter the distance and no matter the time, here are how to survive the dreaded long distance relationship.

Talk!!!

upload.wikimedia.org

Communication is the most important thing in a relationship, and that goes double when you're long distance. Since you can't see each other in person, communicating is pretty much all you have. If you don't talk to each other while you're apart, it cuts off basically all contact that you'll have. Call, text, Snapchat, whatever works best for you, but make sure to keep talking with each other!

Tell them about your day, send funny pictures or cute selfies, tell jokes, or just send memes. Talk about anything in the world, serious or not.

Facetime

c1.staticflickr.com

This has been the biggest thing for me and my girlfriend. Video chatting! Whether it's Facetime if you have iPhones, or Skype, it's always good to see your partner while talking with them. You can talk for hours about absolutely nothing, make them listen to a song you like, or show them your new haircut/clothes, or anything new with you.

Just seeing your partner for a couple hours every now and then is always comforting, even if you can't be near them. You can even set up Skype dates, where you plan out a time to talk so you both can look forward to talking to each other!

Online Games

upload.wikimedia.org

There's lots of online multiplayer gaming sites and programs where you and your partner can play on. There's everything from World of Warcraft to Club Penguin (RIP) where you can play games, blow off some steam, and interact with each other in a fun way.

There's everything from fun cooperative games to games where you can compete with each other, whichever you prefer.

Mail

upload.wikimedia.org

Sending letters and packages from the mail is a fun and cute way to show your partner you're thinking of them. It can be out of the blue, or for a special occasion. You can send a heartfelt letter, a stuffed animal, or send them something through amazon that you know they'd like!

Planning Visits

c1.staticflickr.com

A big thing that helps is when you're able to plan out visits and occasions when you can see each other. Whether one of you goes the extra mile and flies up, or if you meet in the middle, it's a nice break you have in the middle of waiting.

It's good to plan dates and trips in advance for what you want to do, but to also make time to have a laid-back day and just relax with each other. You missed each other, so it's just nice to be in each other's company.