How To Survive Hell Week

How To Survive Hell Week

And finals too, maybe.
17

Okay, so depending on where you go to school, Hell Week is just around the corner. Or maybe it’s Hell Week right now. If you’re like me, your entire semester has been Hell Week. And what comes next? Finals. So how do you survive the last few weeks of your semester? Well, I in my eternal Hell Week wisdom shall tell you.

Know when to pull an all-nighter and when to call it quits. I am not personally a fan of all-nighters and I do not recommend them. I have a very special relationship with my bed. And my health. But I understand that sometimes, they have to happen. But only pull an all-nighter if it’s absolutely necessary. And skip your first class the next day if possible (not that I would advocate skipping class) or make sure you schedule some nap-time in during the day. If you’re like me, you hate coming into class without having finished the assignment or the reading. But it’s okay to do that every once in a while if it means you’re going to get a healthy amount of sleep, especially if you’ve been keeping up over the course of the semester. So pick your battles and know when to call it quits. Don’t pull an all-nighter on something that’s not important.

Don’t procrastinate. This is a big one, and probably the hardest one for any college student. But if you know that you have two ten page papers due in the same week, do one of them ahead of time. Plus, you’ll avoid unnecessary stress, and hopefully a few all-nighters. Try writing out all your tests, presentations, and papers in a planner or on a calendar, if you don’t already do that. Then, plan out specific days to work on specific projects.

Have a marathon day. I honestly hate marathon working but it’s always super helpful and seriously cuts down on my stress during the week. Just make a point of getting up before 10:00 and getting to the library or study room. Bring everything you’re going to need, plus snacks, and a blanket or sweatshirt. And water or coffee or both. I always bring both. Find a quiet, preferably isolated place to work. Personally, I like to steal one of the one-person study rooms in our library. Then, work for a few hours and get as much done as you can. Be sure to take breaks but if you just camp out in the library for a few hours, you’ll get a lot done.

Don’t be afraid to talk to your professors if you’re struggling. In my experience, most of them are pretty understanding and will give you an extension if they’re able to. Or if you’re afraid of your professor or just know they’re not inclined to giving extensions; use the resources at your school. My school offers peer tutoring and a writing center. Take advantage of whatever is available to you.

Coffee.Just drink a lot of it.

Water too.Water is good.

Don’t skip meals. I know you’ll be tempted to, especially if you’re behind in class or up against a deadline. But make sure you eat regularly, or at least as regularly as you normally eat. Take your laptop with you and have a working lunch, if you need it. Or have a friend bring you something. Just make sure you eat. You’ll be happy you did later.

So now you know how to survive Hell Week. Go forth and ace everything! And don’t die trying.