How To Survive Finals: Extrovert Edition

The temptation to hide in your dorm and fall into a studying stupor is strong, but don't do it.

17
The Chive

As we come ever closer to the end of another semester, studying and buckling down to work on projects and papers becomes ever more important. Unfortunately, selling your soul to pass a class only works once and if you use it freshman year... Odds are you're up the creek at this point. Studying isn't fun by any stretch of the imagination, but we've gotta do it. And, if you're an extrovert like myself, studying for finals and the isolation this can bring is a double whammy of awful. Luckily, I've amassed a few tips for how to get through without losing your mind entirely.

1. Study Groups

Never underestimate the power of students working together! Group projects will always be one of the literal worst things about college, but student-initiated study groups may be one of the best. Get a bunch of people from either the same class or different ones together and just bounce ideas back and forth! If you're an extrovert, this interaction and chance to think out loud is one of the best ways to get your study on.

2. Helping Your Pet Pass Your Finals

Now stay with me here. The same sort of verbal connection and thinking out loud can be achieved by studying like your dog/cat/hamster/teddy bear has to pass the class too. Go over your notes with them, quiz them to make sure you can tell them what the answer is, or read your final paper to them to make sure it makes sense out loud. It sounds crazy, but I swear it helps.

3. Mental Health Breaks

If you try to push through finals in one go, you'll likely implode. Don't be afraid to take an hour or two to go recharge your batteries by being with friends. Go for a walk, go to lunch/dinner with people, hang out at the library, or give your self a (specific time allowance) social media pick-me-up. Your brain will thank you.

4. Multitasking!

It feels like your head is going to explode if you don't get some interaction soon, but it doesn't have to mean you lose your flow! Try calling a friend or family member who knows your finals induced panic routine and have them to talk or listen to while you continue typing away on that behemoth of a term paper.

5. Keep Your Needs In Mind

Self-care becomes even more important during a time as stressful as finals. It's vital to make sure that you give yourself permission to reach out for help, to give yourself space to break down or take a break. You're only human, you're not meant to go 100% all day every day even during the end of semester craziness.

Good luck on finals, everyone! You've got this!