Dorm Life May Seem Hard, but These 4 Tips Make it Easy

Easy tips to make your dorm life the best life

60

College is so exciting. Being an only child, I was concerned about transitioning from my quiet house to a busy dorm. At first, it was a little tricky to get used to but after living on campus in a dorm for two years with different roommates, I've survived and learned so much.

1. Respect the space.

West Chester University

Whether you like it or not, you'll have to share a very small room with someone you might not know. Respecting the space is the most important key to surviving dorm living. Respect your roommate's side of the room, keep your own side clean, and understand that this is also your roommate's home too.

2. Decorations go a long way.

Emily Skane

No one likes the "prison cell" look to their dorm room. Decorations go a long way to transform your dorm into your home. String lights can brighten up a dingy room, pictures to remind you of home, and comfy bedding can easily transform your room.

3. Understand that everyone has their own personality.

Emily Skane

When living with a bunch of people your own age, it's inevitable that you won't get along with everyone. However, it's easy to get mad or annoyed with dorm neighbors or roommates but you'll have to learn that everyone has their own personalities and it's not worth it.

4. Communicate with your roommate.

Emily Skane

You'll have to share a very small space with someone you might not know. This person doesn't know what time you go to bed, your pet peeves, or your air conditioning temperature unless you TELL THEM. Communication (or lack of communication) with your roommate could make or break your dorm life.

Dorm life can be tricky to get used to. However, it's one of the easiest ways to make friends in a new environment. With these easy tips, your dorm life can be the best time of your life.