You Are Who You Surround Yourself With

You Are Who You Surround Yourself With

Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher - Oprah Winfrey

32
You Are Who You Surround Yourself With
Unsplash

It's easy to get caught up in the drama of a bad relationship and spend too much time dwelling on the person that you once knew. I had somebody in my life for five years that I considered one of my best friends. Year after year we would make memories, laugh more than ever, and spend so much time together that hanging out became more of a habit than anything. However, slowly but surely, the memories became less memorable, the laughs became more one-sided, and the hang-out habit drifted away. I began to realize that when I was around him I felt worse about myself than I ever did before. I took a step back and realized that for years he was using me and making me feel like I was there to be his "backup." For a while, I was honestly upset about losing a friend who I used to know so well, but then again we both were different people now. He wasn't someone that was contributing something positive to my life anymore.

My point, Odyssey readers, is that not everybody you lose is a loss. If somebody is making you feel like you don't matter or you are less valuable than you are, there is no shame in dropping them out of your life. Having bad or negative people around you will make your confidence go down and your mind more pessimistic; you deserve more. As cheesy as it may be, you deserve to be around people that appreciate you, value you as a person, and encourage you to love yourself as much as they love you. If the crowd you hang around now doesn't fit in those categories, for lack of better words, tell them to hit the road.

Who you surround yourself with really does make a difference in your life and who you grow to be. If you're constantly around people who talk badly about not only themselves but other people as well, I guarantee you that you will catch on to that and live a negative life, too. If all they do is use you and take advantage of you, whether you want to admit that that is what's happening or not, you'll simply feel awful about yourself. You'll ask yourself questions like, "Why am I not good enough for them?", when in reality they do not deserve you.

Similarly, if you're around people that are kind, positive, and enjoy lifting others up and making them feel special, you too will live a more positive and happy life. Energy is contagious so spread it wisely.

Once in a while, it's good to look around at who you have surrounding you and ask yourself some new questions;

"Do these people really care about me?"

"Do they help you become stronger, kinder, more successful?"

I'm telling you, Odyssey readers, surround yourself with the right people and you will see a difference in your mind set and your life.