Surprise: You're A Big!

Surprise: You're A Big!

42
Surprise: You're A Big!

You survived recruitment and have been through each and every buddy week trying to find the one, or two, perfect additions to your already perfect family. This task may seem, to some, the most difficult assignment since your ACT. Not only are you being asked to narrow down your new additions to just one or two favorites, but you are also expected to craft and shop for this still mysterious little, like it’s the day after Thanksgiving. 

Yes, girls, being a big comes with its price tag, and it's big. There will be times that, no matter how often your plastic gets declined, the sheer excitement of getting to see your little’s face when she receives all of your gifts is too priceless to pass up another container of glitter.

This article is not intended to scare you off, or keep you from taking a little. I am simply here to prepare you for what awaits. While I cannot speak for each and every sorority’s traditions when it comes to big/little week, I can make you aware of those small details that are often overlooked. 

First, get ready to start crafting! And, please, start crafting early. I was too eager for my own good and finished the majority of my crafts the summer before I got my little. Yes, girls laughed at me when I arrived in the fall with a Rubbermaid full to the brim with canvases and crafts. But at the same time, who was the big watching Netflix and relaxing while everyone else became prisoner to their own crafting nightmare?

It is also common knowledge that crafting and a sorority girl go hand in hand. While this is most definitely true, don’t be alarmed if by the time the end of this experience you never want to see a paintbrush again. Just breathe, take your time, and know that all this hard work will be well worth it when the big reveal comes and your more than perfect addition comes running into your arms. 

Secondly, download every craft store app you can possible think of. If you are doing all of your shopping and crafting in Gainesville, your options are Michaels and JoAnns Fabrics. These apps are probably the most fantastic things ever created since Chacos. Not only do they give you access to the weekly ads and deals put out by each store, they also provide you with coupons and discounts to put towards your order.

Lastly, get creative! Big/little week goes by way too fast to pass up any opportunity to make the littlest one smile. In addition to the canvases and crafts they spend most of their free time creating for their littles, bigs are also often expected to provide their littles with surprise gifts throughout the span of big/little week. I urge you to take advantage of all of the food delivery services throughout Gainesville; whether it’s something sweet or savory, the stomach is always the quickest outlet to the heart. Also, finally, put those fraternity contacts to good use. No one ever said being serenaded by the hottest boys on campus was a bad thing. Whether it’s Starbucks, flowers, or a badly choreographed dance number at dinner, you’re going to get a smile and, maybe, an adorable Facebook post on your little’s wall out of the deal.

Look past the receipts, the glitter you will never get out of your carpet, and the sleepless nights. When all is said and done, family is forever. The memories you will make and the years you get to spend with your little will be worth any price.