Why 'Supernatural' Is Still Going Strong at 300 Episodes

Why 'Supernatural' Is Still Killing It At 300 Episodes

In honor of "Supernatural" having its 300th episode, I thought I would discuss why I think this show is still thriving at 14 seasons, and why I think it can continue to thrive.

79

In 2005, "Supernatural" aired its first episode. On February 7th, 2019, the show is airing its 300th episode. That's 14 years that it has been going on. No supernatural show that I've watched has lasted that long.

Maybe for those shows, the spark just went out, or it was just time for the show to come to an end.

"Supernatural" isn't like that. I can't even recall a time when I was bored with the show and felt like stopping. I binge-watched at least 9 seasons, and I've kept up with it ever since. It continues to surprise me.

Every season there's a new threat, and just when I think that they've explored all they can in the universe, they switch it up.

From bringing in angels and demons in season 4 to breaking the fourth wall in an iconic episode in season 7, to bringing back a cast member thought lost forever in season 11, and most recently, crossing over with Scooby-Doo, this show can always surprise its fans. They kill off the main characters at least once a season it seems, and even though we know they will always come back, the scenes still manage to be heart-wrenching.

Besides the constant twists and turns, another huge reason that I think "Supernatural" is still popular is that of the relationships in the show. And I'm not talking romantic relationships, because if you've seen the show, you know neither Sam or Dean have much luck in that department. But the brotherhood between Sam and Dean has been one of the most important aspects of the show, and one of the strongest sibling relationships I've seen on television.

Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, who play Dean and Sam, are practically brothers not only on the show but in real life as well. They seem to be lifelong friends, and that relationship off-screen contributes to the way that the brothers care about each other on screen. It makes the scenes between them so much more dynamic and realistic, and much easier for us, as fans, to believe in the emotion portrayed in the scenes.

Going off of that, just the entire aspect of family is so strong in this show. It's written so well, which is why it gets me every time. This show is proof that family isn't only about blood. With the addition of Castiel, and more recently, Jack, this show builds on the family dynamic and the way that families will do anything just to protect each other.

The family aspect goes off screen as well. This show has brought so many people together. Whether it's fans who gush over their favorite characters and seasons who become lifelong friends, or even costars who end up having a life together. This show holds importance in so many people's hearts.

I believe that "Supernatural" is a show done right. They know how to keep the most viewer's interests. And I also just love the writing, the plot twists, the actors, the dynamic, all of it. Obviously, they're doing something right, if they've made it this far.

My hope is that this show will keep thriving for as long as it can. But regardless of when it ends, this show has changed my life, and I know it has changed many others, too. And that's what matters most.