Why Supergirl is Awesome!

Why Supergirl is Awesome!

As if you needed another reason to watch the show...here's nine!

376
Youtube

There are lots of superhero shows out at the moment, and they all have their special way of doing things. Some are dark and grimy, like Jessica Jones and Daredevil. Some are lighter and fun, like The Flash and my current favorite: Supergirl. Don't get me wrong-just because Supergirl is light doesn't mean it doesn't deal with deep topics. This show is the perfect balance between cute and meaningful. Here are a few reasons you should watch Supergirl: (SPOILER ALERT)

1. Kara Danvers is the cutest nerd

Born Kara Zor-El, she was sent to Earth from the planet Krypton to watch over her younger cousin Kal-El, better known as Superman. Her space ship got knocked off course and she arrived to Earth a bit late. Her cousin already an adult, she had nothing to do but grow up as a 'normal' girl in her adoptive family. As an adult she is super quirky and a huge nerd who just wants to make the world a better place.

2. Racism is addressed

Even though the show looks light and fluffy on the surface it deals with hard topics too. There are multiple examples of racism throughout the series. For example in the newest season a guy from the sister planet of Krypton crashes to earth, and it takes Kara a while to trust him because of the preconceived notions she has about his species.

3. Cat Grant is inspiring

Cat Grant is the CEO of CATCO Worldwide Media, where Kara works as her assistant. Cat Grant is brazen on the outside but when you dig deep you find that she really cares about her employees.

4. Even the minor characters have fleshed out backstories

If you like finding out cool information about everyone in a show you are watching, this is the show for you. A few examples of awesome minor characters are: Lois Lane's younger sister (Lucy Lane), the photographer who first took Superman's picture (James Olsen), Lex Luthor's sister who is the CEO of L-Corp (Lena Luthor), and the son of the Toyman who is Kara's best friend (Winn Schott).

5. Feminism

The show is all about girl power. In a world full of TV shows about male superheros it is nice to have one with a girl as the lead.

6. Survivor's guilt

Another tough subject the show deals with is survivor's guilt. Kara and her cousin Kal-El are part of the very few Kryptonians left after Krypton was destroyed. Also in Supergirl the last son of Mars has a hard time dealing with the loss of his species after a holocaust-like event happened on his world.

7. Awesome fight scenes

If you like action and really cool fight scenes, this is totally the show for you! Every episode is packed full of amazing fight scenes.

8. Aliens!

Who doesn't love aliens? Supergirl has bad aliens and good aliens. So really there is something for everyone!

9. Alex Danvers is bae

Alex Danvers is Kara's adoptive sister. She's a bio-engineer and works for the D.E.O. (Department of Extra-Normal Operations). Alex is a total badass and has made it her mission to protect Kara from those who want to harm her. Recently Alex made a surprising (to her anyway) discovery about herself.

If you want to find out Alex's discovery and see all of the other amazing things mentioned here you should totally check out Season one of Supergirl on Netflix and Season two on the CW!