Super Bowl Monday Should Be A National Holiday

7
Niners Nation

In just a couple of days, the Carolina Panthers will face the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl 50.

We’ve been through 50 years of Super Bowls and it has become the most watched television event of the year. Even if someone doesn’t like football, they’re still watching the game, and especially watching because of the hilarious commercials.

The Super Bowl has become the biggest night of the year in America, last year 114.4 million people tuned in to watch the New England Patriots defeat the Seattle Seahawks. This game ended at around 10:15 at night, while this year won't be much different with the game starting at 6:30 p.m. And similar to the majority of sporting events, alcohol is consumed while watching the Super Bowl.

Let’s pretend that the second the Super Bowl ends, people stop drinking, sober up and drive home. They’re probably not going to be getting to their homes until around 11:30 p.m., that’s assuming they wait the proper amount of time before driving.

But if we're being honest with ourselves, that is never going to happen. No one is stopping their alcohol consumption the second the clock hits zero, and no one is going to wait the recommended amount of time to soberly drive home.

So instead, you have a millions of people driving home, possibly in scenarios when they shouldn’t be driving. They realistically aren’t going to bed until 12:30 or 1 a.m., and they then have to be at work the next day at 9 a.m. Or in the case of a college student, they could have an 8 a.m. the next day.

For all these reasons and more, the day after the Super Bowl should be a national holiday.

It may sound like a dumb idea that intense sports fans want just so they can drink as much as they want while watching grown men get paid millions of dollars to play a game, but think about it. People are going to be out late and drinking, so the potential for drunk driving is higher than ever.

Now think about the day after the Super Bowl. Most people are going to be hungover, and instead of working, they’re talking about the game and the parties they attended the night before.

I’m even guilty of sitting in class and looking up the commercials from this event and re-watching them because they are just that good.

The day after the Super Bowl is probably the least productive day in America due to hangovers and people wanting to talk about the weekend, so by turning it into a holiday, you aren’t going to be missing much in terms of work not being done.

Also, if the day were a holiday, people wouldn’t be rushing home after the game and potentially drunk driving. People would be able to hang out after the game and enjoy themselves, and not be worried about having to get home early because they have to work in the morning.

Drunk driving is a huge problem in America and if making the day after the Super Bowl a national holiday saves even one person's life from being in a drunk driving accident, isn’t it worth it?