Ways to overcome the Sunday Scaries with Self Love

We've all been there. Ever since school days, Sundays (unlike it's cooler older sibling Saturday) are a time where people often look at clocks and comment that there aren't that many hours left of their weekend, and they may have other responsibilities such as homework, laundry, or cleaning. Not to mention, the pending anxiety of the week to come – be it academic or professional responsibilities, or if something more personal is happening.

The best way to counter this is through acts of self-love. Something as simple as creating a mantra to remind yourself over and over that you are enough, worthy, talented, or focused. Another thing that helps me overcome the Sunday Scaries is analyzing not only why I feel this way, but talking or writing it out. Like now: I am currently waiting to hear back from an advisor to see if paperwork I am working on needs further changes. This does not sound like too intense of a worry, but I am the point of contact between the two entities involved, and thus I have to accept that in this case, having patience here means accepting that I am not in control of when people reply, and what further changes may be needed. An added stressor to this is due to the fact that I have upcoming travel plans - so I would like all of this taken care of so I can take my trip in peace.

Oftentimes, a cause of Sunday Scaries is more in one's control - like the sheer amount of things to do upon returning to work in under 24 hours. What helps me with this is taking time towards the end of my Friday to leave myself a note on what needs to be done on Monday morning, because I likely won't remember what to do without it.

As a last resort, plan something fun on a Sunday night. Whether that means a dinner with friends, reading a book, or something to generally unwind and enjoy that last couple hours of your weekend. After all, Sundays to comprise half your weekend, so worrying about the week ahead (and, in my case, other people's schedules) and just live in the moment.