Poetry On Odyssey: In This Moment
Health Wellness

Poetry On Odyssey: In This Moment

A poem about summer.

215
Poetry On Odyssey: In This Moment

That excitement you felt in February

Is now.

The snowy day that had you longing for sand under your nails.

That is today!

The pile of homework that mocked you all year long

Doesn't exist.

It is summertime.

The long days that filled your memories just a few months ago are finally here.

The faded tan is coming back.

But the season's visit is never long enough.

It is summer, right now.

Live in the moment.

Don't skip a day.

Be selfish with the sunshine and go easy on your troubles.

Live in your brown suede sandals

and run the conversations into the nighttime.

Live while it's still summertime.

Black Friday: Explained

Time to question this unofficial corporate holiday.

1329
Flickr/John Henderson

On a personal level, Black Friday has always confused me. Everyone just ate a ton and spent all day with their families—why would we want to go out and vigorously shop, fighting crowds? I totally see why other people want to go do it, but I’ve never quite understood the concept myself. While I’ve been Black Friday shopping once or twice, I don’t get that excited about it unless it’s an opportunity to spend time with family or friends. Don’t get me wrong; I am the queen of bargains. Still, I never seem to have the energy to go out into the jungle of shoppers early the day after Thanksgiving, or even immediately after Thanksgiving dinner. Many people, though—including my loved ones—are enthusiastic about Black Friday shopping, and it seems most other Americans are the same way. So, it’s worth looking at the reasons for this commercially-driven, unofficial American holiday.