A Summer Without Social Media

A Summer Without Social Media

The 2000's have been so crucial to my upbringing; fortunately and unfortunately technology has been a part of that.

284
A Summer Without Social Media
Local 2544

Lately, I have been dealing with so much stress in my life. To some, this stress may be impractical but let me tell you that this stress has thrown my entire routine off balance. This stress has made me have to think about how I will change my current routine to help my new incoming one. I have been talking some family members about this and my mom brought up that I should take a break from social media for awhile. At first, I was like, "Yeah right, what does that have to do with my stress?" But after taking serious time to think about it, taking time off of social media is exactly what I'm going to do. It probably won't help my entire circle of stress, but I would be happy if it made it just a little small of a circle.

The 2000's have been so crucial to my upbringing; fortunately and unfortunately technology has been a part of that. I will admit that for certain things, like the internet at school, is great and I am so happy that I was able to use that tool during my education. Having telephones able to take with you wherever you go is convenient but when did it start becoming a distraction? That's when I stopped liking cell phones. No matter what type of screen time you're using, too much of it is really bad for you and I've noticed that most people I walk by on the daily are glued to their phones, going about their life without realizing that they are so focused on the material in their hands. I've always told people that I could easily go without a cell phone. Now, I'm thinking "Wow, I am on my phone quiet more than I'd like, and it's such a huge part of today's culture that I almost can't not have one." So then I thought, what if I got a cellphone that doesn't have access to apps, internet, and the "extras"? That would be so boring. I hate that I'm even saying that I couldn't live without a cell phone, because I could; it would just be extremely hard communicating with anyone nowadays.

I have decided to take a break from social media for the entirety of my summer break. I'll be honest and say that I am dreading this, but I know it will be good for me. I am just as sucked in to the social media world as everybody else is around me. I find myself on my phone when I could be doing more important things. I find myself on my phone before bed, and it being the first thing I check when I wake up in the morning. That is NOT what I want anymore. I want to stop this addiction we all have for myself, and better my future, health and relationships with those around me. If I end up loving life without social media, (wait for it.) I might never get it back! WOW right? A millennial, not wanting anything to do with technology. That's almost as rare as a Liger.

There have been a few tasks and events that I want to complete this summer, and I know that less social media will help me achieve those tasks. I want to read at least 4 books this summer, I haven't even opened the one I've been reading for the last year and a half. I want to do more yoga, more workouts, more fishing, more dancing. I want to travel up north and camp somewhere that I have to backpack to. (Wait, Mady Gasper saying she wants to backpack somewhere? I really am turning crazy!) I want to take pictures on my camera and print them out to put in albums, not have an imaginative album on Facebook for all to see. I don't want to have to check online to see how friends and family are doing. I want to have a 20 minute phone call once a week or so. I don't want to feel the need to post pictures of me and my boyfriend online to compete with other couples for the best "Goals". Just wait, what the f*ck are "omg goals." Seriously? I'm not even going to get into that because I will write an article specifically about millennials and their issues.

So anyways, the moral of my story is that I'm done with apps. I'm done with social media, I'm done feeling like I have to stay up to date with everyone and anyone online. Lets be honest and all agree that we really only truly care about like 30 of our Facebook friends anyways. I'm not going to lie, I'm not excited whatsoever. This is going to f*cking suck - because I am so used to this. But it's something I want to try, so my kids don't learn from me that this is how they should live. I'm going to go outside more. I'm going to take more pictures, and hang them in frames. I'm going to enjoy the fresh air, and the sunshine physically instead of through my phone screen. I'm going to try to show my younger cousins that cell phones are not to be lived through, or hidden behind. I'm going to let my phone die and not worry about charging it right then and there so I can text people. I highly doubt I'll even text anyone that much anymore. I'm not that good at replying anyways. The only thing I will keep on my phone is my Facebook Business Page, and Snapchat because some of my friends and family only have that to communicate with me. So goodbye Facebook, goodbye Twitter. Goodbye Pinterest, goodbye Instagram. Goodbye to the ickies that have been taking over my life and so many other people's lives for the last how many years. It is time to get my life back. My relaxing, worry-free life. If you need me, call me. Write me a letter. Wow do I love hand-written letters. I can't wait to see where this decision takes me and how it will affect my life.