Summer Romance: A Fling or The Real Thing?

20

Summer romances tend to be light, fun, and unfortunately for some, limited in time. So how do you know if your summer romance is simply a fling or the real thing? Navigating a summer romance can be tricky, so here are some tips on managing a successful and stress free relationship. 

There’s just something about summertime that brings out the best in people. It could be the warm weather, the time off from school, the overall relaxed mindset, or the amazing experiences that summer brings. Summer romances can be inevitable, but they can also be very fun. 

1. Communication is Key. It’s important to have a conversation with your partner about each of your intentions. Is it understood that this is just a summer-long relationship or does it have the possibility to become a full-fledged relationship at the conclusion of the season? These questions are extremely important so no one is left in the dark about what’s really going on. Always stay true to yourself and your partner, and don’t make promises you don’t plan on keeping.      

2. Try Something New. It’s summer so spontaneity is a must! If you think you have a “type” of person, go outside what you are typically drawn to and meet new people. Who knows what could happen and, it’s summer, so if you don’t want to take the relationship too seriously...that’s okay (see tip #1 first though)!      

3. Facetime (this doesn’t involve your electronic devices). Hello, this is your captain speaking. Please turn OFF all personal electronic devices including laptops and cell phones. This summer you should concentrate on your new partner rather than insistently posting about them. First off, posting about your new fling on Facebook and Twitter might creep him or her out, especially if it’s more of a casual relationship. Second, you should enjoy the moment you’re in rather than experiencing summer through the screen on your phone.     

4. DIFY (do it for yourself). Don’t get involved with someone because you’re trying to make someone else (i.e. an ex, a hookup at school, a past summer fling) jealous, and definitely don’t get involved because your friends are practically forcing you to date one of their friends. It’s your summer... do what makes you happy!      

5. Don’t get too attached. Summer flings are usually temporary so try not to invest your entire emotional well being into one person. The summer romance might work out and it might not… and either is okay!    

6. Summer is (unfortunately) not reality. Summer is amazing and, in my opinion, the very best time of year. Unfortunately, it only lasts a few months. With that being said, do not forget your obligations for the rest of the year. I hate to say it, but summer isn’t exactly reality. It’s easy to get caught up in a relationship and all the good times you’re having, but don’t forget that come September, you'll have your nose in the books and your summer fling will most likely be a distant memory.     

7. Have Fun! The entire purpose of pursuing a summer fling is to get out and experience everything. Do things that you’ve never done before and discover places you’ve never been. Pick someone that makes you laugh, keeps you on your toes, and makes you excited for each and every day during your summer.