11 Recipes To Brighten Up Your Summer

11 Recipes To Brighten Up Your Summer

You've got to try these foods this summer!

24
11 Recipes To Brighten Up Your Summer
Pexel

The summer can lead to take-out food since we tend to get lazy when there is no school. Do not let your dinners be boring; bring some spice to your evenings with these recipes. These summer dishes from around the world will help you beat the heat, create a fun family experience and experience other cultures.

1. Quiche

Follow the recipe here to make the quiche. but use salted butter, and whatever type of cheese you want. Also, why use frozen spinach if you can use fresh?

For the crust, use:

1. One stick of salted butter

2. 25 grams of flour

Add butter and flour to the bowl. Rub in the flour until it resembles bread crumbs. Then gradually add small amounts of water (no more than a tablespoon) and knead the dough until it comes together. Do not over work the dough. Next, wrap the ball of dough in cling wrap and leave it to sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Afterward, the dough is ready to be shaped into pie crust for the quiche.

While quiche can be eaten warm, it is just as good, if not better cold or room temperature.

2. Naengmyeon

These Korean noodles are eaten cold, so they are perfect for hot summer nights. You will probably need to take a trip to the specialty store to make these cold noodles.

To make them you need:

1. one pound Korean radish, mu
  2. three tablespoons vinegar
  3. two tablespoons sugar
  4. one teaspoon salt
  5. two servings of naengmyeon noodles
  6. one boiled egg, cut into halves
  7. 1/2 Korean cucumber (or 1 kirby cucumber)
  8. two thin half-moon shape slices of a Korean pear - optional
  9. Vinegar
  10. Hot mustard paste

You can buy beef or chicken broth, or make it using these ingredients:

1. 1/2 pound (230 grams) beef brisket (양지머리)
  2. 1/2 medium onion
  3. six cloves of garlic
  4. three thin ginger slices (about 1 inch round)
  5. two large scallion white parts
  6. 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
  7. two tablespoons soup soy sauce
  8. one teaspoon sugar
  9. salt to taste

Fill a pot with water, enough to cover the ingredients to boil the meat, onion, scallions, garlic, ginger and peppercorns on a high heat. Turn the temperature to medium once it begins to boil and leave it for an hour or until the meat is cooked. In the last 10 minutes, add the soy sauce, then remove the heat so the broth can cool. Then discard the vegetables.

Add the salt and sugar to the broth. Then place it in the freezer for an hour or until it is a slushy consistency. Thinly cut the cucumber and sprinkle it with salt. Then let it sit in the broth until it is soft. Slice the beef and add it to the broth.

Boil a medium pot of water. While it is boiling, fill a bowl with ice water, then cook the noodles. Once they are done, drain the noodles and pour the ice water on them. Then drain the noodles again. You can do this until the noodles are as cold as you want them.

When serving, top it with the the pickled radish, slices of beef, cucumber and half an egg. This should yield about four servings.

3. Colorful Ice Cream

Use a vanilla ice cream recipe, and to change the color and flavor of the ice cream, use different fruits, such as two to three mangoes, two cups of strawberries, two cups watermelon, six kiwis and four cups of blueberries depending on what color you want your ice cream to be.

4. Fruit Salad

This one is pretty simple. Gather your favorite berries and melons, cut them into cubes depending on their size and serve them in a large bowl. The best fruits to use are watermelons, cantelopes, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, cranberries and basically anything that ends in berries. The more colorful the better.

5. Aojiru

This is basically a Japanese smoothie. These can be made in multiple flavors. Ingredients should be adjusted for your taste preference. For green juice smoothies, use ingredients such as kale, apple sauce, aloe, bananas, apples, grapes, lemons, oranges, satsumas, asparagus and spinach. I recommend that and recipes with bananas and spinach to be used stringently, or use the other fruits leniently.

For orange shade, blend apples, bananas, mangos, oranges, lemons, passion fruits, satsuma and carrots. If you are a fan of berries, make the purple one, which consists of bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, strawberries, lemons, kiwis, bilberries, blueberries, raspberries, black currents, aronia, acai puree, satsuma, carrots and red carrots.

6. Spaetzle Salad

To make four servings of this pasta salad you will need:

• one boxbox German spätzle9 ounces
  • two small zucchini
  • one medium red bell pepper
  • 1-1/2cupsdiced eggplant
  • 1/4cupolive oil
  • two tablespoonsGerman white vinegar
  • one tablespoonminced fresh basil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Simply cook the pasta and add the diced zucchini, red bell peppers, eggplant and basil. Then sprinkle with olive oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper.

7. Breakfast Yogurt

Yogurt always makes a good breakfast food, but it can be a morning meal or dessert if you make it right. Get some:

1. Vanilla yogurt

2. Berries (such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries)

3. Granola bars

You can use fruit that aren't berries, like kiwis and mangoes or any fruit that will add that sweet flavor. Crunch up the granola bar. Fill a cup a third of the way with yogurt then add the fruit and granola. Add another layer of yogurt and finish it off with another topping of fruit and granola, or you can just mix all the ingredients in a bowl together.

8. Oatmeal

Oatmeal is another easy breakfast idea that just by adding fruit, a dash of milk, cinnamon and a drop of vanilla, can be transformed into something sweet. By simply mixing all these ingredients together, you have a special morning delight.

9. Pizza

No summer goes by without pizza. Even though pizza is routinely served warm, you can freshen it up by adding vegetables. Using pita bread as a crust, top it with tomatoes, spinach and other vegetables to give it a summer taste.

10. Chicken Salad

Chicken salad is easily made by chopping up skinless chicken and mixing it with mayonnaise and celery (you can add nuts if you want). Chicken salad can be eaten with regular salad or can be put into sandwiches and wraps. Adding cucumbers and tomatoes to the wrap, sandwich or salad makes it refreshing for those summer picnics.

11. Granola Bars

To make twelve granola bars you would have to follow instructions here using these ingredients:

• two 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup nuts, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • one teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

You'll need 3/4 of any additional mix-ins, like dried fruit, chocolate, etc. But if you add three different mix-ins, only use 1/4 of each.

Toast the oats and nuts for eight to 10 minutes while you mix the butter, honey and brown sugar on the stove. When the butter is melted, cut off the heat and mix in the vanilla and salt. Then pour it over the oats and nuts, and add any extra ingredients, except for chocolate. Only add the chocolate once the mixture is cool.

Spread the mixture on a can to chill in the fridge. Then cut them into whatever shape you want, making the perfect snack this summer whether your just lazing around the house or going on a hike.

Stay cool, and have fun doing it by cooking these delicious meals and treats. These treats will give you a taste of other countries as well as give you something to do and eat this summer!