Summer Jobs As Told By Phoebe Buffay

9 Struggles Of Trying To Find A Summer Job As Told By Phoebe Buffay

I found the perfect job online in less than twenty minutes! And I've got an interview!

"There's a chance this may have been a dream."

-Phoebe Buffay

198

Trying to find the perfect summer job is hard, especially when you're in college. You want something that's going to give you plenty of money, boost your career, and not something that's going to make you hate your life for two months.

You are all very lucky that you haven't been on the receiving end of my many phone calls to my mother; the complaints, the tears, the gut-wrenching feelings when you think you found the job but you start reading further and it's anything but. My mom has had to deal with this from me for the past few months, and I know she's probably ready for me to have a job more than I am.

While searching for jobs on Indeed, Handshake, LinkedIn, and hundreds more, I had "Friends" on in the background. Phoebe said one of my favorite lines, "There's a chance this may have been a dream." I know that has absolutely nothing to do with job searching, but I thought many of Phoebe's hilarious sayings fit perfectly in describing the difficulties of summer job hunting.

1. When you've been staring at the screen for hours, trying to find even the simplest of jobs.

media.giphy.com

Trust me, it's the worst burning sensation you could ever feel.

2. When you spend hours filling out the perfect application, and they NEVER call you.

media1.popsugar-assets.com

This is even worse than being told that you didn't get the job.

3. When you get the interview and can barely concentrate because your soon-to-be boss is real easy on the eyes.

66.media.tumblr.com

Well, they probably already have your phone number, but there's no harm in making sure they use it!

4. When they ask you, "What are your plans for the future?"

66.media.tumblr.com

Let's be honest, who has a plan at this age? And if you do, I hate to tell you, but it's probably going to change at least five times before you graduate.

5. When your soon-to-be boss contradicts everything you read on their website about the position. 

media.tumblr.com

"I know it says online that you'll only be working 20 hours a week, but I think we could do 30."

6. You just started the job and your boss asks you to work overtime, but you have dinner plans with your significant other?

media.rbl.ms

I love you, but I NEED this job!

7. "At the end of your time here, you need to give a presentation on everything that you've learned!"

media.tumblr.com

*Feverishly begins a powerpoint presentation*

*Adds amazing transitions between each slide*

"This is some of my best work."

8. When you decide to be brave and try the "coffee" from the breakroom...

az801229.vo.msecnd.net

As a coffee lover, I can safely say, not all coffee is equal.

9. When you get your biggest paycheck yet!

media1.tenor.com

That job may not be easy, but the money is oh so worth it.

Phoebe Buffay is a perfect representation of the things that go on in my brain while searching and thinking about potential summer jobs. I know it's hard to find "the perfect job", but there is a job out there waiting for you; you've just got to tell yourself:

"Come on _____. You're a paleontologist. Dig a little deeper."

And find that grit to push you through finding a job, or even through the job you have now.