Why A Summer Internship Is Worth It

4 Reasons Taking A Summer Internship Is Worth It

You can gain experience and put your college education to good use

9

Ah, summer. It's our time to relax, sleep in, and catch up with old friends.

Well, those are the plans most people have. Others, especially those in need of some experience, take summer internships. Some people really look forward to getting out in the field and learning about what they want to do, but others are a little more apprehensive about giving up all that summer freedom.

If you're on the latter end of that spectrum, let me tell you why the extra responsibility is worth it.

1. You'll gain valuable experience

An internship in your field can really help you learn about what you're getting into and if it's what you really want to do. It can also show you other related jobs that you may want to consider. Additionally, the experience you get from interning can be a great resume booster.

2. You can network

Through your internship, you can meet people that could be wonderful resources in the future. They may be starting a company you'd be interested in being involved in or they might know people who could help you find jobs once you graduate. You may meet someone in a different field you may want to intern for in the future.

3. You might be able to make a little extra money

If you're lucky, you might just be able to find a paid internship. This makes interning more worthwhile for some because you're getting something more tangible out of it. While looking from internships, see if you can find a company that's willing to compensate you for your time.

Keep in mind, if you take a paid internship, you'll more than likely only work four days a week, otherwise you'd be full-time. This way you'll still have some free time during the week. (Even if it's unpaid you probably won't be a full-time intern.)

4. You'll get a great reference

If you do you your job well and work diligently, you can get a great reference from your boss.This reference can help you get other jobs and internships, but your boss can be a reference for you even once you've left their company. They can give you advice about the industry and provide guidance as you move out into the working world.

So, if you're on the fence about taking an internship next summer, just think of what it could do for you future.