College Summer Break: Expectations Vs. Reality

5 Bad Cases Of College Summer Break Expectations Vs. Reality

Can I go back to school yet?

87
man sitting in chair underwater

Summer in college is an interesting time. When we were younger, we couldn't wait for summer. School is out, warm weather, hanging out with our friends every day, going to the pool, etc. Now, when we leave school for the summer we are also leaving all of our friends and soon realize we have nothing to do. We see our high school friends which is always nice but after a few weeks, we are itching to get back to campus where we have built our new lives. Here is the reality check that is summer as an adult.

Free time: Expectation...

Going swimming all day, hanging out on boats or at lake houses, sipping on a summer shandy with all of your hometown homies.

... Reality

https://media.giphy.com/media/GhnctUOrT8HBe/giphy.gif

Everyone has jobs over the summer and we all work different hours on different days of the week and can hardly find a free time that works for everyone

Sun: Expectation...

Getting a nice bronze tan that lasts all summer.

... Reality

Between all of the long hours working, unless you are a lifeguard or nanny, you hardly ever see the sun.

Sleep: Expectation...

It's summer! No school! This is your time to relax and sleep in every day of the week!

Reality

Think again... remember that pesky job? It's hard being a broke college student.

Fitness: Expectation...

"I'm going to work out every day and work off that freshman (and sophomore... and junior...) 15!"

... Reality

"How have I worked out every day of the week and still managed to gain three pounds? Maybe it's all of those homemade meals?"

Friends: Expectation...

"I can't wait to see all of my old friends I haven't seen in months or years I miss them all so much!"

... Reality

"I actually am only going to hang out with the same four or five people from high school and I don't really care about seeing anyone else."

Overall, growing up and adulting can be hard. Summer isn't what it once was and is sadly more boring than the school year. Each summer we come home is just a glimpse of our future once this 4-year vacation is over. Better enjoy it while it lasts...