Taking Summer Classes in College

The Struggle Of Taking Summer Classes, As Told By A College Student

Plans after work? Never had them because #summerschool

117
Photo by Link Hoang on Unsplash

Students take summer classes for a variety of reasons. Some students might have to retake classes they failed during the school year; while others are just trying to knock out a few courses before fall semester rolls around. My reasoning was I wanted to graduate on time. When I applied to Grand Canyon University I chose to major in communications and minor in marketing. So when I transferred from my junior college (shout out to Saddleback College woot-woot) I had all of the classes I needed for my comm major but I needed to complete additional classes for my marketing minor.

So here I am, summer 2k19 working full time and taking online courses. Exactly how I planned on spending my last summer before I start my professional career. I am #thriving (haha not). Since I am sure I am not the only one taking summer classes, here are 11 painfully relatable things that I experienced while doing school online this summer.

Thought you saw the last of LoudCloud? Sike, you thought!

If you don't attend GCU you might not know what LoudCloud is. Here, let me educate you. LoudCloud is our online learning platform and the hub of all of our online and in-person classes. Here you can find the syllabus, course assignments, and discussion posts. AKA, the place students go to die. JK! But everyone can agree that we would take Canvas or Blackboard over LoudCloud ANY day.

You have to strategically plan your schedule around your DQ responses.

D.Q.= Dying Quietly. No that's not it...oh Discussion Question. That's right! It's basically, the same thing when you can't plan anything without asking yourself if you've done your two responses one of the three times a week. You've got to keep up that participation!

When you turn into a whole different kind of fake when responding to your classmate's posts.

"Hi Bethany, I completely agree with your post! I too believe there aren't enough plastic bags in the world for all of us! So if we want our kids to live in a better world it starts with reusable bags!"

You: "Sorry, I can't I have homework." Them: "During the summer?"

Yes, Jessica. Some of us actually like to be productive during the summer instead of posting pics on Insta of our Starbucks by the pool. Btw how's that sunburn feeling? *eye roll*

Having a small heart attack when you forget a deadline.

*Logs into LoudCloud* Oh my gosh that is due TONIGHT??? I swear it was due Sunday??? There goes my date with Netflix tonight.

You start writing your essay in your head while you're at work.

Forget about daydreaming about the beach, how am I going to start off my essay? What if I wrote it like people record vlogs..."WHAT'S UP, GUYS?! KAITLYN HERE BACK WITH ANOTHER ESSAY I WROTE LAST MINUTE! Make sure to like and subscribe if you think I deserve an A!"

You have a professor you never get to see. So, you contemplate what they look like...

Is my professor even a real person? What if a computer was teaching this entire course? Would we even know? A dog could be teaching this course for all we know... #justsummerschoolthoughts

That moment you find out your seven week course is actually eight weeks.

Oh yes, this happened to me. I thought both of my courses this summer were seven weeks. Until I looked and saw I had assignments due in one course a week after the other course ended. WILL IT EVER END?!?

You learn how to balance work, school and a social life.

Some people do this all the time and you only have to do this for a semester! It's all about planning. At 9am you wake up, 11 am work on your classes, at 1 pm meet your bestie for coffee, at 3 pm go to work and then repeat. If anyone can master scheduling it's a college student taking summer courses.

You daydream about a summer without classes and assignments.

Tbt to high school where you got out of school for the summer and you didn't have to worry about homework until September. Ahh what I wouldn't give to be young again...

That wave of relaxation you get after you submit your final assignment.

Ahhh now my summer can finally start...