I'm Married To My Online Summer Class

I'm Married To My Online Summer Class

What to consider when thinking about taking a summer online class.

13621
I'm Married To My Online Summer Class
straighterline.com

I may not be legally attached to my summer online course, but it sure feels that way. I am currently half way done a month long summer session class with a local community college. I took it to get a little ahead in my credits and to finish up a section of my common core. I knew it was going to require a lot of my time and some motivation to stay on task but I didn’t think it would consume decent chunks of my days.

My class entails reading four chapters a week and taking a quiz after reading each chapter. I also have a timed exam after each week on what we covered. I have an instructor but it’s mostly just me teaching myself the information and hoping for the best. Teaching yourself things from time to time isn’t a bad thing, but it loses it’s appeal when you have to teach yourself everything all the time when it comes to a class.

Summer classes can get expensive as well. I wasn’t exactly told how much my class would be until I signed up for it, and the price caught me off guard. It’s harder to get financial aid for the summer and not really worth it if you are only taking one course, but money should still be a deciding factor.

There are benefits to taking an online class that, to me, surpass the downsides. I don’t have to worry about being late for class, since you can work at your own pace as long as you meet due dates. I also don’t have to worry about getting stuff done for any other classes. Another plus side is gaining credits over the summer.

Completing this summer course gives me a little more wiggle room when it comes to making my next class schedule. Common core classes are a pain to get through and I don’t want them holding me back from taking the major classes that I need to take. I am a double major so it’s especially important to have enough time and space in my schedule to complete both of my major’s requirements.

In the end, summer session classes are not ideal for everyone. I’m not working right now and sometimes have trouble finding time to complete all my assignments. I start work soon and that will only make it harder. So for someone who works a lot in the summer, taking a class is probably not the best idea. On the other hand, for someone who has the time and is looking to get ahead in school, a summer class could be a good investment.

If you have the motivation, money and especially the time, taking a summer class isn’t the worst way to spend part of your college vacation.