It's Not You're Imagination, Your 'Summer Break' At 19 Is NOT What Is Was When You Were 9

Why have they changed so much?

151
Madison Zinn

We all remember how it was. Sitting in our 6th hour class in high school, staring at the clock.

Not hearing a word our teacher was saying, only thinking about the plans that you and your friends for as soon as school is out, as well as all of the plans for the rest of summer.

Summer was filled with so many expectations. Days filled with nothing but sleeping in, hanging out on the lake, and bonfires with your best friends.

Summer was a time for being free and showing your wild side.

Okay, the flashback is over.

Now we are in the present day, where you are most likely reading this article on your lunch break, as you're also trying to finish an assignment for your summer class.

Summer break is no longer the carefree season that it used to be. The main purpose now is to make as much money as possible for the next school year, so that we will not go too broke from buying books...and drinks.

Why has this season changed so much for us?

Unfortunately, we have been forced to grow up and experience the real world. We don't get buy on our parent's cash anymore, and college doesn't always end when winter semester does. If we want to have fun, we have to work for it.

But it's not as bad as it sounds. We have grown up.

We are smarter than we were in high school and are much more equipped to taking care of ourselves. I don't know about you, but I love living on my own and fending for myself.

It may be a struggle at times and yeah, summer isn't quite as amazing, but I would choose to be in college over high school any day.

Besides, we can still have fun.. maybe just on weekends from now on.