Going To College Out Of State And Returning To Your Small Town
Education

Going To College Out Of State And Returning To Your Small Town Isn't Like The Movies

Coming home from college during breaks isn't like the movies. Half the time you are working and the other half you are trying to reconnect with friends. It is a struggle at first, but, hopefully, it will get better.

656

I was so ready to go home. So ready to see my high school friends and my family. However, it is not like the old times. It is much different because everyone has changed and, essentially, grow apart. I attempted to reignite friendships by going to prom and graduation with my friends, but it just does not feel the same. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death, and they are my family. A lot has just changed, and dynamics have switched up.

We still do the same things as we used too and not much physically changes. For instance, everyone is still living in the house they grew up in, we all hang out in the same spots, and our appearances have not changed. It turns into high school all over again because you are still talking about the same people and doing the same things as before. It is hard coming back to a small town after college since everyone knows everyone's business, and there is rarely anything new to do.

College teaches you how to stay on the go and to never procrastinate. When you return to your small town, you end up doing the opposite since there is barely anything new and exciting. In college, there is something planned every day of the week, whether it be fraternity or sorority events, sports practices, or some event the college creates. You never had spare time on your hands, so you are never bored and do not even have time to procrastinate. However, when you come back to a small town, you end up sitting in your house, if the internet is working for once, or sitting on your front porch talking with your friends. The more time you have on your hands, the more time you need up procrastinating actual things you need to get down.

Don't get me wrong, I love being home and being around my friends but it gets boring, and I don't seem to fit in anymore. Most of my friends never left our home town or the surrounding area so they grew up more together and got closer when I was away at college. I wish it was like the movies and we all ran and jumped into each other's arms, but it is not like that at all. Movies fail to address the fact that, growing up isn't an option. We end up growing up and finding people who help us do so. While friends back home may not stunt your growth, it is still hard to hold on to them when you are hundreds, if not thousands, miles away for a majority of the year.

Since I just moved back, it has been hard reconnecting with friends but the obstacles have allowed me to realize which people are truly my friends. Now, I just need to get back into the rhythm of the small town life.