8 Things You Know All Too Well If You Have A Summer Birthday

Summer babies, this one's for you.

70

There is no better feeling than basking in the warm summer sun, free from academic obligations while also having a whole day (or two, or three...) dedicated to you. I just turned 19 at the end of June and even though my birthday has never changed in the entirety of my existence, it only just recently occurred to me that summer babies experience birthdays differently than anyone else who is born in another season. So, naturally, I had to compile a list of things that set this special group of people apart from the others.

1. You can do pretty much anything you want to celebrate.

There are endless possibilities here. Dinner in the city? Sure. Beach day? Of course. Amusement park? Heck yeah. You have the whole summer to party, free from the bounds of school that limits you to a two-day maximum span of celebration.

2. You never got to have an in-class birthday party in elementary school.

OK, this one is kind of sad, but it's true! Part of my heart is still aching because I never got to bring cupcakes to school to share with my teachers and classmates. Also, the birthday kids always got really cool pencils, but that's beside the point.

3. In that same vein, no one ever decorated your locker for your birthday. 

Yes, it has been 6 years since I was in middle school. Yes, I am still upset about this.

4. Everyone, yourself included, always forgets when your birthday is coming up. 

The lack of structure during the summertime really throws off your concept of time. So, it can be hard to keep track of the days leading up to the special day. So many of my friends wished me a happy birthday this year by saying: "oh my gosh, I didn't know it was your birthday" to which I responded, "it's my birthday?" I'm not kidding.

5. You have to plan your birthday celebration around everyone else’s vacation plans. 

Now that I am in college, I am juggling approximately three distinct friend groups that run on completely different schedules. This makes making birthday plans exponentially harder. From conflicting work schedules to people leaving the country, it is virtually impossible to get them all in the same place at the same time. Luckily, if you refer to item #1 on this list, there is ample time to accommodate.

6. You’re always among the youngest people in your grade. 

Yeah, I was that one person who was constantly asking my friends for rides because I was the only one who didn't have her driver's license yet.

7. Ice cream cake was and still is an important part of your birthday. 

Nothing will ever be as good as Carvel ice cream birthday cake. I will not be taking questions at this time.

8. Summer is the best season, obviously. 

Truly, what's not to love about it?

All jokes aside, I am so grateful that I get to spend my birthday with the people I love no matter how, when or where we choose to do it. Some of my favorite memories are from my past birthdays, but those memories wouldn't be nearly as special without the people with whom I share them.