A Glimpse Into My Freshman Year of College

A time for change.

350
Arizona Public Media

A lot can be made of and taken away from your freshman year of college. Everything is so new and exciting. New people, a new place to call home, and a new start. However, freshman year is a very interesting time.

After graduating high school, everything hits you like never before. The summer before your freshman year is the biggest summer yet. It's the last summer that all of your best friends will be together in one place before this huge change comes. You're probably going to spend most of that summer going to the beach, having sleepovers, and picking out the perfect decor for your dorm room. During this time where you're supposed to be living it up with your hometown best friends, but if you're anything like me, you'll be overthinking every little thing about college. Did I make the right decision? Will I make friends instantly? Will I get a bid to a sorority? So many things will rush through your head and it will be overwhelming, but it's how you cope with it and make the most of the time you have left that matters the most.

Before you know it, it's move in day! You finally get to put all the cute room decor you picked out to good use and design your room so there are nothing but good vibes as soon as you walk in. However, this day is probably one of the most overwhelming days you will have not just in college, but in life. So many emotions will be flowing on this day from not only you, but your family as well. I'm not going to lie, I bawled when I had to say goodbye to my parents after I was all moved in. From that moment on, I felt so many things. Fear, homesick, stress, but yet I was excited about the adventure I was enduring on.

Right after move in day, sorority recruitment began. Needless to say, I was freaking out throughout the week. Through rush, I began making some friends and meeting new people. By rushing, I was doing something that was out of my comfort zone, but I liked it. After recruitment was over, I was able to find my home in my sorority and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Classes in college are way different than classes in high school. I knew from high school that I was able to manage my time, but being in college really puts your time management skills to the test. There are going to be days where you've had three exams and all you want to do is sleep afterwards. There are going to be nights where you're staying up studying for finals until 2 AM, but that's life...that's college.

One thing I learned and didn't take to heart while being in college is that people change, and that's okay. Of course it's difficult at first, but no matter what you do, stay true to yourself. No one supports you more other than you, and of course your family.

College has made me realize that I'm more of an independent person than I thought. Yes, going out and living the college experience is fun but, you'll get sick of it easily. There will be nights where homework is piling up and you can't do anything besides that, or nights were you will just want to watch a movie or binge watch your favorite show on Netflix...and that's okay.

Learning how to do everyday tasks while living away from home and having to be without your family and best friends was a constant struggle for me. Some days are better than others in the sense that you will miss home insane amounts randomly. But just know that those people at home are counting down the days until you go back home, just as you are.

Freshman year of college is a year to learn. It's a year to learn about yourself academically, socially, and independently. It's your time to branch out, no matter how difficult it can be, to work hard, to go out of your comfort zone, to realize your self-worth, and to make a bunch of unforgettable memories.

As much of a rollercoaster that this year was for me, thank you freshman year for teaching me things not only about life, but about myself that I had yet to discover before.