The Suite Life of Sloane (and Dani, Hailey, Lauren, Sabrina, and Shirley)

The Pro's and Con's of Suite Living Freshman Year

15

As an incoming freshman who put all five housing preferences as two man dorm rooms, I had no idea what to expect from life in a suite with not just one other girl, but seven of them. So here’s a little list of the ups and downs of the freshman “Suite Life”:

Pro: Bathrooms!

And not just one bathroom, but two for a total of 8 girls. Not only are you free from the true horrors of the communal bathroom experience, but one bathroom is always open. No shower shoes needed!

Con: Seven Other Roommates

If you don't like at least one or two of your roommates, things could get pretty dicey. It can definitely cause tension in the room so try to be as cordial as possible but don't be rude. Remember, you don't have to be best friends with everyone you meet in college.

Pro: Seven Other Roommates

College is a scary time when you are literally bombarded with new people, classes, schedule, room, basically what feels like a whole new life. If you get along at least a little, you automatically have seven different people that you know so you never have to any of the welcome week activities alone!

Pro: Thermostat

Most individual dorm rooms do not have air-conditioning, let alone control of it like my suite does.It had been a gift straight from heaven for a Colorado girl living in “humid” Los Angeles. Just make sure to set a ground temperature with your other suite mates or you’ll find yourself like me in the trenches of a thermostat war (who on earth likes to keep their room at 85 degrees in the summer?!).

Con: Social Life

When in individual dorm rooms, most people keep their doors open and you can just walk right in and make a new best friend. But in a suite, people may keep the main door open and their individual doors closed, vice versa, or, in my experience living in the International dorm, keep both doors closed. This makes socializing and making friends on your floor nearly impossible unless you're bold enough to start knocking on doors like you're selling girl scout cookies.

Pro: Clothes

Lets be honest, the square footage of a college closet is matched only by Harry Potter’s “bedroom” under the stairs. There is no way you could bring along even half of your closet. That is where seven other roommates come in. Six extra roommates (rather than just one in a normal dorm) equals six extra closets. Hallelujah am I right?

Con: Lack of Communal Bathrooms

Say you're studying in the lounge or outside in the courtyard and nature calls. You have to pack it all up and walk up the stairs, down the hall, and swipe into your suite to get to a bathroom. Because if there are two bathrooms in each suite, it is apparently impossible to need one on the ground floor or in the adjoining dining hall.

Pro: Grocery Shopping

With 8 people in one area, someone is always going to be needing something, whether it's a new notebook or some more snacking food. Just toss them some cash and they will pick up that pint of ice cream that you've been craving and have just been too lazy to walk across campus to get.

Overall living in a suite has its pros and cons, but I would not trade my suite life for anything because it has given six of the most amazing girls to call my best friends.