Suicide Squad: Utter Disappointment

Suicide Squad: Utter Disappointment

The movie of disappointment.

30
Suicide Squad: Utter Disappointment

I recently witnessed another terribly produced DC movie, which I had only heard one bad review about before viewing. I had my hopes up because everyone had been raving about it and how the characters were portrayed excellently, but it was all a lie. I don't understand why all of the recent DC movies have been horrible. Batman is my favorite superhero and I wish that the new producers taking hold of DC would get it right for once. The bad streak began with Batman v. Superman and it seems to only get worse from there. There were so many things that were wrong with Suicide Squad that I can't list all of them, but I will be listing many of the horrible aspects that offended me the most.

1. Harley Quinn

The first thing that was horrible was her Boston accent. Every time she spoke, I was just thinking about how annoying she sounded and kept thinking "just shut up". She was also overly sexualized, dancing in a strip club, being offered to other men by the Joker, and then when she was fighting the creepy minions, the last one was feeling her up. This was not the Harley Quinn that I was expecting. I was so disappointed because she is one of my all-time favorite female villains. She is one of the cosplays that I enjoy doing and I wish that the movie producers would've portrayed her like she is in the comics and the animated series. Why must everything be modern? Why can't things be traditional sometimes? At the beginning of the movie, they even tease her original costume before dressing her in booty shorts, a t-shirt, and heels. It just added insult to injury.

2. The Joker

He was not the Joker. It was like he was a gangster or some mafia leader. He had henchmen doing his bidding. Since when does the Joker need minions to carry out his mischievous plans? He doesn't need anyone for that. I had watched all of the trailers and scenes that contained Joker and was excited to see what Jared Leto would be bringing to the screen, but once I saw it, I was extremely disappointed. I did like his appearance because it was different than the previous Jokers, but that's where the good thoughts end. I also didn't agree with how Joker's lines were cut. They're in the trailers, but when those scenes surface, the lines are no longer there. I think that was one mistake that could've made a small difference because at least it would've seemed like he had some substance.

3. The Love Plot

I get that his entire purpose was to retrieve Harley so that they could be together, but I felt that they could've done a better job with that sub-plot. The random flashbacks were not strategically placed at all and they bounced all over the place. I especially hated the club scene where Joker offers Harley to another man. That's not something Joker is going to do. Joker and Harley's relationship development seemed to be rushed in this film. We see her as his therapist before she gives him access to weapons, which get her hurt in the process. They rushed everything. I think that they should've made a separate movie for this particular plot.

4. The "Throw-Away" Character

I don't even remember who this guy was because he was brought into the film 30 minutes in, then dies because he tries to escape. His sole purpose was to be blown up for trying to escape to demonstrate what would happen if any of the main characters decided to try the same stunt. It was a waste of screen time.

5. The Enchantress

OK, so this bitch was one of the people who was supposed to be recruited as a suicide squad member, but turns against the woman recruiting and begins building a machine to take over the earth. She brings her brother into the mix and begins kidnapping humans to create her very own minions. It was just...UGH! The entire point of this team was to be fighting the next Superman, but they end up fighting something otherworldly the same day that they are brought together. This plot was just messed up.

6. Diablo

I liked his morals and his appearance. He was the one character that didn't want to be a part of the task force because of the consequences that would follow. I really liked his character. What I didn't like was his ability to turn into some kind of fiery Indian at the end to defeat the Enchantress and her brother. If he knew he had that kind of ability, why did they send in humans beforehand. Why not just send him first?

7. Killer Croc

This was also a character I was excited to see on the screen, but I feel like the only reason he was included was to demonstrate police brutality in the prison system. They treated him like a monster, so it's no surprise that he attacked them when they came into his territory. I felt like he was just kind of there because he didn't seem to have any real purpose in this movie.

8. The Final Scene

The love interest is brought back to life after the Enchantress is killed. I felt like Dr. Moone should've just died at the end because her body was being used as a vessel. But, no, they brought her back so that there could be that romantic moment after all of the destruction was over. They also sent all of the task force back to prison, which was a little cliche. At the very last second, Joker comes in and rescues Harley Quinn. It's like they had to bring it back to that sub-plot and prove that Joker survived the helicopter crash that occurs earlier in the movie.