Success Is Built On Failure

Success Is Built On Failure

"Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe." Sumner Redstone

356
Success Is Built On Failure
Flickr

I remember stumbling into my car with a lump in my throat, tired eyes and a Coldplay CD set at high volume. This was a recurring scene during the time that I had been attempting to find a job. It was almost a ritual after awhile; I would pace out of school to my car that was brimming with applications patiently awaiting their return to the places of work from which they had come. No matter how painful, I would not take back the lessons I was forced to learn through the silence of the places I had applied to. The experience of continually filling out forms and dressing up for interviews taught me to communicate with people in power and accept failure as a lesson.

Day after day of walking into restaurants and shops enhanced my interview and conversation skills. After months of not hearing back from any of the jobs I had applied for, I had spent so much time introducing myself to managers and owners that I had developed a calm demeanor around people in power which I had never had before.

The true and newfound tranquility of my personality brought to light the reality of the situation; we were just two human beings conversing about whether or not I would be a good fit for their job. Realizing that the intimidating figure in a suit wasn’t any more than another person with a sense of humor and feelings, has changed the way I communicate with authority. Being warm, open and confident with people of all positions and ages has opened up multiple doors for me both personally and in the job industry.

Accepting that my efforts had failed was a very important transition into the ever-changing nature of myself. Applying to jobs was truly thrilling because I believe I possess strong people skills and a powerful work ethic. Unfortunately, the excitement soon turned stagnant; in interview after interview, I saw that these companies overlooked these essential skills, and decided based on my lack of experience.

I had never exerted myself so intensely into an effort that didn’t spit out what I wanted. Gaining knowledge about employment requirements forced a realization that in order to rise above more highly qualified people, I must stand out by utilizing the large amount of information gained through pushing past my comfort levels. I felt like a flood of water held back by a dam, and I was just now realizing the potential I held if I forcibly broke through that wall.

After a long season of job hunting with my newfound personality and outlook, I found not one but two jobs. Not receiving what I wanted in the time I thought it would take was one of the best lessons I have ever experienced. The unfilled expectation eventually led to the end of my journey where I was offered awesome coworkers and good pay.

My job experience has taught me a great deal about the structure of business and society and was well worth the wait. The energy I exerted in the terrifying search for a place of employment provided me with the skills needed to communicate with people in powerful positions, along with the comprehension that failure is whatever I let it be and can be turned into lessons that lead to success.