Subliminal Messages on your Instagram Story

Unless they are good bangers, and/or wall worthy quotes, your feelings deserve to be spoke..by you..to the person whom you want to hear them.

182
https://unsplash.com/photos/xv7-GlvBLFw

We are all guilty of it, that I am sure of. I KNOW I am. Up until a little while ago, when I tried to get a guys attention, I always went to find 'our' song or a song that I hoped he would read the lyrics to so that he would know how I was feeling. Maybe it was a song we both liked and enjoyed, a song that played in a moment of ours, or the lyrics just were too on point, not said any better, and you think they'll actually look them up. Maybe it was a quote about moving on, or resentment. Maybe it was a Pinterest tattoo that you both had wanted to get, but time was cut short. Whatever it is, those feelings you want someone to feel when you post it, are useless if they are not sent to that person directly. They mean something to you, why would you want the world to know you're not okay? Or you're moving on? Those feelings are better kept and analyzed to yourself, by yourself.

I don't know if a girl is reading this, or a guy, but whoever you are, you have to understand social media is a tool to highlight your life. Pictures, stories, snapchats and tweets are not meant to make you look bad. Social media in and of itself has two verifiable reasons for use: attention and monetary compensation. People are afraid to look like their life is good on social media because it's not a models, but anyway, that's for a different article. Point blank, stories with sad songs, or stories with songs that came out a super long time ago and the title is too obvious to be dismissed as ironic, makes you look like you cannot speak for yourself. That a song has to do it for you. ALWAYS out here playing devil's advocate, there are some unique relationships in which songs are your only way to communicate, and that's okay too. But most are not unique in that way, and there is some means of communication in which your feelings can be voiced, and they may be left on read, but they will be heard.

As it is 2019, and the posts/conversation about building your empire and all the bad bi*ch quotes are getting increasingly more popular, whoever you are, putting sad songs or messages that you know other people might dismiss, but still be able to comprehend, isn't being a bad bi*ch, it's being a sad one! Your emotions and feelings are better when they are kept to you, and if there is someone else involved, that person. The world, and social media does not need to know you are struggling, or your trying to flex for your ex. You have introduced the subconscious feeling of others knowing, making your stress even higher, as you stalk the viewers, to see if who you wanted to see it, saw it.

There is a level of respect that you have for yourself as well, the respect of your feelings being rational, and worthy of understanding. Because as you stalk the viewers, take it down once they see it, or take it down out of fear they will see it, diminishes your worth of emotion. They deserve to hear what you have to say, no matter if it is the truth, or sad, or upsetting, or really happy even. Social media is a tool to highlight your life, don't use it as a tool to grab attention from someone who is longer in your follower list, or your life. Don't use it to grab attention from someone that IS in your life. They will respect your maturity and appreciate you telling it them directly. Because your feelings do not deserve an instagram story, they deserve to be heard.