An Argument For Suffering

An Argument For Suffering

Why today's animals aren't free from systematic suffering, and what many are doing to contribute to it daily.

6
An Argument For Suffering
Modern Farmer

Quite often in a discussion regarding animal suffering and pain experiences in their processing, I will have to respond to a comment noting that "since the animals are stunned, there's no argument for suffering."

There's a general disregard for the effectiveness of these tools and how often they fail us. Even when the tool used is fine, the time pressures placed on workers lead to misuse. Workers have to move through as many as 2,500 animals in a single shift, which only contributes to cursory action. Sure, there have been improvements with time. Improvement does not indicate a lack of pain.

Countless workers have come forward detailing how common it is for there to be animals conscious as far down as dismemberment. There are always those animals who feel but become paralyzed, those who aren't even knocked unconscious, and those who try to escape the pain caused by the thick steel bolt inserted in the animal's head.

The greater care taken by smaller farms is strangled each day as major corporations pressure those still in the business of smaller operations to give up. More power goes to huge, apathetic food producers every day, and consumers unknowingly support this.

The continual and convenient forgetting most partake in on a daily basis as they sit down to eat is no excuse for the millions of animals killed on factory farms each day who are vulnerable to inhumane treatment and murder. To make any change it's of the utmost importance that we either stop purchasing meat from factory farms, the meat that represents 99 percent of that which is sold in stores today.