Communications Is A Major, Don't Belittle My Passion

"The art of communication is the language of leadership." — James Humes

851
Medium

In communication, writing is king because it establishes your credibility. There is no room for mistakes in our work because it is sent out to the public. The communication major opens a broad career field; however, it doesn't mean that it's an easy ride. If it's so easy, then why isn't it your major? I didn’t pick this because I’m not good at anything else but because this is what I've always wanted to pursue. I get to showcase my craft that is creative & honest storytelling.

First of all, who said we don't know about writing, social media, or talking? There are numerous career fields that are applicable to this major including sociology, marketing, advertising and public relations. Communication students are multi-skilled, creative and cultured; we want to make a difference in the world one medium at a time. Writing may be where someone's mind is at, but their heart and soul enjoys getting what they need to say.

Getting deep into the curriculum, at my school, has developed a critical awareness & further appreciation how communication contribute positively to personal interactions, business relationships and the mass propagation of information through media outlets. If you can't portray your new finding in a way that the average person can understand, then you have failed in conveying your message to the masses. Good communication is essential in just about every industry, helping to sell products to the public, maintain strong relationships with investors, clients, and – not always as prominent but just as important – to make sure everyone involved is on the same page.

I'm specifically studying journalism which, in case you didn't realize, is never going away, because the news will never stop coming. If journalists don’t risk their lives and work tirelessly to present the facts, who else is going to get you your morning news? I am majoring in journalism because I want to be a voice for people who don’t have one. I want to write articles that bring joy to peoples’ lives, and articles that make your jaw drop and make you question everything you thought you knew. This, like the reasoning behind your pursued major, is my passion. If there's no passion, then there's no point.

I’m not saying that communication is king of all majors or fields to be working in or downplay the hard work that students and professionals in the STEM fields do. Strong communication skills are invaluable in order to provide meaning & resonance to the companies’ aims and to present the company and its services or products in the clearest way possible to consumers, clients, and colleagues. Every path has its merits and every path can cross at one point or another. There truly is no limit to what you can become with whatever degree that you earn.