5 Study Tips For Finals From Pulling An All-nighter

5 Study Tips For Finals That'll Keep You From Pulling An All Nighter

It's that time of the semester...

18
Pexels/Craig Adderley

If your anything like me getting overwhelmed is something that you can't help. Especially when it comes to the brutal onslaught of finals week. If anything right after you read this, start the process of creating a schedule, but keep it reasonable.

Personally, studying for finals is equivalent in taking a bath in stress, not fun. By setting an organized pace I was allowed to chill a little bit more this time around. Through this process, you'll end up learning pretty quickly that studying, if done the right way, doesn't have to be the end to your peace of mind. As cliche as it may sound, in the end, it all depends on how much effort and time you put in, so don't waste time.

1. Rank your exams

Grab a piece of paper and list out all your upcoming exams. First list them from the ones that are the closest and then rank them from their level of difficulty. Make sure you leave space in between your points. The reason for this is so that you can prioritize which tests require the most of your study time.

Example:

1. Economics (1 2 3 4 5)

2. Spanish (1 2 3 4 5)

3. Precalculus (1 2 3 4 5)

2. Under each exam list out what you need to study

It may be the list of chapters or unit but make sure to map it out. You can ask your professor about what units or material will be covered in the final.

Example:

1. Economics (1 2 3 4 5)

Chapter (1-2)

Chapter (3-4)

Chapter (5 - 6)

Chapter (12)

2. Spanish (1 2 3 4 5)

Unit 14

Unit 15

Unit 16

Unit 18

Unit 20

3. Precalculus (1 2 3 4 5)

Unit 5.1- 5.6

Unit 6.7-6.12

Unit 7.1- 8.1

3. Divide it amongst the days you have left

Plan out what you're going to do every day. Don't overwhelm your self, try to break it into small chunks.

1. Economics (1 2 3 4 5) (I have 12 days left, so one chapter (write important notes about each) a day)

Chapter (1-2)

Chapter (3-4)

Chapter (5 - 6)

Chapter (7-8)

Chapter (12)

2. Spanish (1 2 3 4 5) (I have 14 days left. Every three days study and practice one unit for 10 minutes)

Unit 14

Unit 15

Unit 16

Unit 18

Unit 20

3. Precalculus (1 2 3 4 5) ( I have 15 days left, and 14 subunits to cover. Each day do the practice problems for one subunit, and the last day chill and review big concepts)

Unit 5.1- 5.6

Unit 6.7-6.12

Unit 7.1- 8.1

4. Plan times in the day

Are you a morning bird or maybe you just have a hectic schedule? Plan an hour or 2 in the day especially for studying, cut out distractions and set reminders on your phone. There is even app that you can download that will cut out distractions and notifications from your phone (check out here). The link leads to 10 apps which, depending on what triggers you to go on your phone, will block certain apps from sending you notifications or even just prevent you from opening up your phone for a certain time period.

5.  Plan time for yourself

It can get overwhelming when your constantly switching from one subject to another trying to practice and study even if you're not trying to cram. Drink a lot of water and plan little rewards for yourself for keeping to the schedule. After all, what's the point of studying if on the day of the exam your to drained out to do much of anything let alone think through problems.