16 Places In Boise To Study That Are 100 Times Better Than The Library

A caffeinated guide to get your study mojo on for finals week.

3589
Matt Ragland via unsplash

Finals week is here, and you know what that means — cue the endless head-banging against your desk or kitchen table wanting to give up on life.

What if I told you that you could be less anxious during finals week? I’m going to give you a secret weapon; a weapon I wish I had in my belt during my first two years of undergrad.

Study spots.

Seems basic, I know, but there are plenty of options besides hitting up the library. From one BSU student to another, I’m going to make your life a whole lot easier.

In no ranking order, here are some local spots in Boise I have found to be good studying spots:

1. Black Rock Coffee Bar - Broadway

Not only does Black Rock have awesome drinks, but they also have a student discount! Black Rock is a cool, somewhat hipster coffee shop, and they have a variety of seating areas for college students. Besides coffee, they have smoothies, energy drinks, kombucha, pastries, and other study snacks.

2. Starbucks - Broadway and Vista Ave

Starbucks is always a good place to study. They have nice coffee shop music, plenty of tables, and wicked good coffee. Although some of their drinks tend to be expensive for the college student budget, they are totally worth the money if you need a pick me up or just want to treat yo’self. Both locations have different atmospheres, so pick which one is best for you. As for the drinks, Starbucks has a wide range of coffee and non-coffee drinks, as well as munchies.

3. The Coffee Studio - Milwaukee Blvd and Rifleman

The Coffee Studio is a local chain coffee shop and feels super homey. If you like unique, sweet drinks and a quiet atmosphere, this place is the study spot for you. It has a little bit of a natural feel, but with a modern twist incorporating succulent plants potted in glass orbs as the centerpieces, earthy colors, and other metal decors. Although it’s smaller and a little bit more intimate than other coffee shops, it’s quite charming. They also sell breakfast, lunch, and pastries.

4. Frog’s Fix Coffee Parlour - Latah Street

Located on The Bench, this locally-owned coffee shop is like the traditional corner coffee shop place you go to if you’re in a hurry or just need to get some air. It has some countertop seating, as well as nice outdoor seating, but is very tiny. Frog's Fix has unique coffee flavors and house-made chai. They also sell local bakery goods and awesome merchandise. Plus, they have a discount during their “happy hour” from 3-5 pm.

5. Barnes and Noble - Milwaukee

Barnes and Noble has a nice array of tables, outlets, and treats courtesy of Starbucks. Although Barnes and Noble can be distracting to some, it is still a great place to get work done. With plenty of customers coming and going, you might have some great ideas stem because of the active foot traffic. Don’t reject this studying spot just because it’s mainly a bookstore!

6. Moxie Java - Vista and Kootenai

Although it may seem like a cramped space, they have great white chocolate mochas and local pastries. Plus, Moxie shares space with Blimpie, so you can kill two birds with one stone without having to leave your study mojo to get a bite to eat.

7. The Village Coffee - Overland

Also located in Meridian’s The Village, the Village Coffee Shop has a coffee/bar atmosphere. With the hip, leather upholstery, a cool fish tank, and plenty of seating, definitely consider giving this place a try, even if you don’t get any studying done. If you're twenty-one or older, they do offer wine, alcoholic ciders, and beers to enjoy as well.

8. Zero Six Fix Coffee - Park Center

This coffee shop has a blend of colorful, pastel, antique furniture combined with modern seating arrangements. Zero Six Fix Coffee is different than the other coffee shops around Boise. They have two separate coffee menus; on the left side they have traditional coffee drinks, and on the right side they have wicked sweet and Boise drink names. Besides their awesome coffee drinks, it’s really close to campus, so definitely check out this dope place!

9. Flying M - W. Idaho Street

Flying M has plenty of funky seating, including tables, long couches, outdoor seating, and countertop seating. Flying M was tailored for the everyday Idahoan, the busy bee, and the college student. They have a wide range of coffee drinks, non-coffee drinks, pastries, and even Italian sodas that are to die for! Super brownie points: they have a hip, strangely cool gift shop that is sure to make you laugh your ass off from at least one of their products.

10. Java - 6th Street

Located right across from The Melting Pot, Java has high ceilings, chandeliers, unique artwork, and other vintage decors. Definitely give this place a try if you want to try a new coffee shop in the downtown area. My go-to order here is their Thai Coffee. It’s full of goodness — not too sugary, not too bitter. Plus, their sun cups are sure to brighten your day.

11. Dawson Taylor - 8th Street

In the heart of downtown Boise, Dawson Taylor definitely takes their time to craft a pretty and savory cup of coffee. They also sell a multitude of their own coffee beans, so be sure to pick some up and support this local business.It is a great place to gain inspiration and refreshing perspective outside of one’s home or four walls or dorm. I definitely recommend!

12. The District - 10th Street

I would say out of all of the coffee shops included in this listicle so far, this shop uses natural light to the best of their advantage. Also, the District has a mixture of both authentic, traditional, coffee drinks and also semi-sweet drinks. The District has a hipster, boho-indie vibe but it works well — especially since the majority of coffee shop customers are college students.

13. Guru Donuts - The Old Idanah Building on W. Main Street

I know what you’re thinking, it’s a donut shop. DONUT. Yeah, well you know what, you can get wicked yummy, unique donuts while drinking locally-roasted coffee. Plus, they have an abundance of seating. Relocated to the old Dhanah Hotel Building, Guru is a great downtown escape where you can devour an artisan crafted, Vegan donut.

14. Fresh Healthy Cafe - Broad Street

Plenty of healthy choices to choose from, and yes, they have coffee, don’t you worry! It is definitely a nice change of scenery from coffee shop studying. Besides coffee and smoothies, this new smoothie shop has sandwiches, colorful salads, and açaí bowls for you bowl lovers out there.

15. Alia’s Coffeehouse - W Main Street

This funky, pink coffee shop is a great place. Aliya’s has a variety of coffee drinks, pastries, and breakfast foods, including their fresh bagels, made in-house every day! Once you go inside, you definitely get a homey vibe.

16. Caffe D’Arte - Broad Street

Located right across from P.F. Chang’s and next to The STIL, this downtown coffee shop is a great study spot if you love the hustle and bustle of downtown life, people watching, and just want to take in city life without having to travel too far.

Now quit your salivating and go try one of these awesome coffee shops! Go carpe the diem out of those finals.