10 Go-To Study Spots On Butler University's Campus
Nature Animals

10 Go-To study Spots on butler University's Campus

All the "do" and "don't" spots to hit up when you really want to crack down!

978

With fall semester right around the corner, excitement is an understatement. Soon, we will be moving back into campus, reuniting with our best friends and getting back into our favorite routines. While we can hardly wait to be back in the social scene, the approach of a new semester also means it's back to the study scene. Living so close to so many amazing people sometimes makes buckling down and cracking open the textbooks difficult. Here's a list of some of my favorite spots on/around Butler University's campus to really focus and get work done!

1. The Jordan Hall Basement

The basement of Jordan Hall is one of my go-to study spots in the morning. There are hardly any people, and it's not far from the entrance closest to Starbucks! Grabbing a coffee and heading to a comfy chair to read a few chapters of a book is the recipe for a productive morning.

2. Gallahue Hall Second Floor

I found this place by accident-- a true serendipity!! Jordan, Gallahue and Holcomb are all connected by a skywalk, and my first time using it, I accidentally turned the wrong way (GO FIGURE!). Anyway, when using the skywalk, if you turn right at the end of Gallahue, you end up in Holcomb. If, however, you go to the end of the hallway and turn left, you find a hall filled with comfy couches and tables. Plus, there's hardly ever anyone there! The best part? The hallway faces Holcomb Gardens, and in the evening, I love to watch the sunset while grinding out some work.

3. The Ruth Lilly Science Library

Could I really do a post on study spots and not mention it? The Sci Li was my saving grace second semester (my first semester I was WAY too intimidated to check it out). Being the only place on campus to guarantee absolute silence, it's almost like stepping into the Twilight Zone. Being in the Sci Li is the closest I ever felt to the absolute silence Brian describes experiencing in Hatchet. While slightly intimidating at first, I love the Sci Li because of the coexistence that exists between its walls. It is two floors (of little rooms, desks, chairs, cubicles, you name it!) chalked full of people who understand that everyone there is studying hardcore and that a simple nod or smile is all the conversation they need.

4. Irwin Library 2nd Floor

Okay, so including the main library as a study spot seems like a no-brainer, but here's a fact you may not know. Irwin's unspoken rule is that the further up the building you go, the quieter you must be. One trip inside and you'll notice the first floor is a hub for group projects, while the second floor is more of a serious independent study spot, and you could probably hear a pin drop on the third floor. There are even private study rooms you can reserve (need somewhere quiet to record yourself?? THE PERFECT SPOT!!) on the upper floors when you need to be alone.

5. A classroom

Yes, you read that right. As a first-year, I didn't even realize you could study in a classroom until second semester. Butler academic buildings are open 24/7 (with ID), and you can log onto my.butler and reserve classrooms not in use. This has been so helpful when I need a whiteboard or to practice a speech on a projector!

I even have friends who were so desperate during busy weeks at school that they took naps on classroom floors amidst their studying (you gotta do what you gotta do, right?)

6. C-Club Dawg Den

While there is a distinct smell that accompanies a trip to C-Club, not much beats the comfy couches and ability to spread out that the lounge provides. I spent many late nights finishing up last-minute online work on those couches. The best part? If I start craving a study-snack, I can pop right over to see Miss Denise and grab some edible cookie dough or Graeter's ice cream!

7. Starbucks

This one is hit-or-miss. If you can score a big table and you catch it at a slow time, studying at Starbucks is gold. Take caution, however, because Starbucks is one of the busiest and most popular study spots on campus. In between class times, a ton of hustle and bustle goes on, and LOTS of talking occurs. I recommend working on early drafts of essays, interviews, and other low-stress tasks at Starbucks rather than your biochemistry lab or term paper.

Let's be real, most of the reason we are there is to try to see what friends (or cute boys) we'll run into anyway.

8. Outside of Holcomb Building

This is an often overlooked but absolute GEM of a spot to study! Underneath umbrellas or facing the rest of the academic quad on a sunny day is a nice antidote for a stack of assignments needing attention. Try to get over here during the warm season, before it gets cold and there are 200 people huddled in Irwin trying to study.

9. Holcomb Gardens

The selfish part of me had a hard time putting this one on the list because of how great it is. Nesting my portable hammock between two trees next to the creek, or sitting on top of the steps by the bell tower, or setting up a quilt in the grassy area by the canal are some of the most relaxing ways to spend my study time. You hear the sounds of nature and are only 5 minutes away from the main part of campus while feeling like you're camping. It's a great place for homework or even just to take a quick walk!

10. Coffee shops around campus

You think I could mention all my favorite on-campus study spots without mentioning how much I love to get away for a bit and enjoy Nap Town's finest cafés? Open Society and Hubbard and Cravens are mere 5 minute drives from campus, and I absolutely love spending entire afternoons immersed in my work, the smell of coffee beans, and the sounds of indie hits. Slightly further away (but absolutely worth mentioning) are Quills and Kaffeine Coffee. Indy is absolutely jam-packed with fun coffee shops to study in or just to visit with friends when you need a little getaway. I could list all of my favorite drinks and atmospheres, but we'll save that for another time. ;)

Whether it be for some online activities, an essay, or a big exam, finding your prime study spots is a must. Have anymore hidden gems worth mentioning? Let me know!