Study Habits to Help Improve Exam Scores

How you study plays a role in how you do on your exams. More is not always better, especially if your study time is filled with distractions. Here are a few tips for improving your study habits.

24

1. Slow and steady.

There are people who can cram the night before and still do well on exams. They are few and far between, however, and they often feel stressed and full of anxiety. A better approach is to study at least an hour each day for about 10-14 days before the exam.

2. Create a study area.

To get the most out of your study time, you've got to eliminate all distractions. That way, you'll have a better chance of committing the information you're studying to memory. Choose an area that's available when you need it, that's quiet and well-lit, that has the materials you'll need, that has adequate storage space, and most important of all, that has a comfortable chair and temperature.

3. Learn how to manage your time.

Rather than trying to fit study time in as time frees up, block out chunks of time on your calendar that are devoted solely to study. By actually scheduling your study time, there is less chance you will ignore the responsibility.

4. Take good notes.

Come to class prepared to take notes. The instructor likely will devote much of his speaking time to delivering information that'll appear on tests. Listen carefully, abbreviate as necessary, and rewrite your notes after class when you have more time and while the material is still fresh in your mind.

Moreover, exam's preparation takes a lot of time and a lot of detail to remember, that is why if you've ever had to remember dates for a test or recite a poem, you have enlisted your brain and its ability to memorize. Memorization happens so regularly in our daily lives that most of us never give it much thought.Memorization is simply the mind's ability to store information in best writing service, sort and categorize it, and then recall it as needed. However, the way the brain is able to memorize is complex and is not yet fully understood. What is known is that several memorization strategies exist and the strategy a person uses depends on whether the information being memorized will be stored in short-term or long-term memory.

Here are a few of the memorization techniques the mind uses:

Visualization - In this process an individual carefully looks at all aspects and features of the information to be memorized. The goal is to form a mental image because images are easier to recall than words or numbers.

Verbally - In this process the individual uses certain words or acronyms to help with memorization. By associating words with something common, it's easier to remember and recall those words. For example, if you ever learned "My Very Earthy Mom Just Served Us Nut Pie" to help you remember the order of the planets, you've used this type of memorization strategy.

Rehearsal - In this process the information to be remembered is rehearsed or practiced over and over again. It doesn't matter whether you repeatedly look at something, listen to something, or think about something; the point here is to keep repeating the process.