Students Organize March For Stricter Gun Laws

A look into March for our Lives in Indianapolis.

74
Baylie Clevenger

On Sunday, March 24, people in more than 800 cities gathered to march in favor of stricter gun laws. This event was created by students nationwide and in Indiana, the march was held in downtown Indianapolis. Protestors gathered with signs and listened to speakers discussing the topic of gun legislation.

On February 14, a shooter entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. He was armed with an AR-15 and fatally shot 17 students and injured others. This tragic event has recently sparked many debates about gun legislation.

The debate is whether or not stricter gun laws would decrease the number of mass shootings in America. Time magazine reported that in 2017 alone 112 people were killed and 531 were wounded in mass shootings. This is not including recent shootings like that in Parkland, Florida.

"I am very much invested in supporting our youth when it comes to finding solutions to how we can make them safer, not only in their school environment but also in their communities," said Giulianna Tonti, an attendee of the march. "I was motivated to come to this March For Our Lives Indy because I believe that it is my responsibility as a progressive woman to stand up and fight back against threats to our democracy and wellbeing, especially when those affected most by gun violence may not have the privilege to be heard as loudly, whether by voice or by ballot."

Outside of the state house, this debate got heated between protestors. This happened when a counter-protestor brought his AR-15 on his shoulder to the protest. Many of the protestors were outraged as this is the same gun that killed 17 people in Parkland, Florida just over a month ago.

The man in the white jacket is the one who brought his firearm. He and other protestors exchanged arguments after the march was officially over. The man with the gun argued for teaching gun safety courses and learning about firearms rather than banning them.

For more information and photos on the protest, visit the March for our Lives Facebook page.