Why It's Important For College Students To Keep Up With Current Events

Is Staying Informed That Important?

3334
Wired.com

For most college students, a morning begins with rolling over in bed and immediately checking their phone.

Within moments of our eyes opening we have checked our smart phones for not only text messages and missed calls, but we have also checked all social media outlets as well. Speaking from my own experience, I know that in the first five minutes of waking up I have checked Facebook, Instagram, TimeHop and even Twitter. Spending this much time looking at these media sites does not seem all too bad in the big scheme of things, but when we take a step back and look at what we have gathered from those social media sites we wonder if students are up to date on what really matters in the world?

Between classes, tests, study dates, finding time to eat, spending time with friends, and even enjoying simple Netflix nights, students in today's world are finding it difficult to stay "plugged in" to current events. Studies show that less than five percent of college students have a clear grasp on world events whether it be politics, finances, or even religious events. However, these current events should be the first priority.

By knowing these events maybe you could find your passion. Whether it is politics, international affairs, sports, or even business. Finding what you are interested in is the first step to wanting to stay involved. Staying up to date with global affairs helps you stay connected with the world and finally be able to form your own opinion about the world. Knowledge of world events is beneficial as it impacts our daily lives in every aspect. This knowledge can also help to enhance a job interview, a debate, or even a simple class discussion.

Keeping up with these events is more than just sharing a Facebook article about increasing gas prices or following #TrumpForPres2016 on Twitter. There are several ways to stay involved in the world events. We are so used to hearing, "there's an app for that", well, in this case, there really is an app for news sources you can stream right to your phone, laptop or tablet! CNN, FOX NEWS, NY Times, ABC NEWS and The Wall Street Journal are just a few of the apps that send local, and even world news directly to your phone!

TheSkimm is also becoming very popular as well. Each morning you are sent a digest of events from the past day. They are written for a millennial audience with interesting titles and headlines that will make you want to read the news.

With so many ways to stay informed there is no excuse not to keep up. These are simple, daily services that can help students our age get a better understanding of the world around us. We are the next generation, our opinion and input does not only matter, but also determines the future of the world. Staying informed is key. So next time you want to waste hours on end watching YouTube videos take a few minutes and check out what's going on in the real world.