How Joining Student Organizations Changed My Life

An opportunity of a lifetime that I thankfully took.

90

With three months left before graduation, I decided to take a step back and evaluate all that I've done in the last few years. It has been a long journey, but it's also one that wouldn't have been possible without my involvement in student organizations.

Prior to entering Sam Houston State University in Fall 2016, I never had what one would call a real-life friend. The thought of having people I could relate to eluded me as I was a lone wolf. I was in German class, not expecting to make anything out of it other get language courses out of the way. Then I came across the German Conversation and Culture Club (GCCC).

The GCCC is a small organization run by students for students. The club primarily focuses on the cultural aspect of German with the occasional discussions on conversing in German. Since I was bored and did not feel like I fit in anywhere, I decided to give the club a chance.

I went away impressed. I enjoyed the warm atmosphere that the students brought. Seeing their excitement to learn more about German culture and language managed to rub in me. Not only that, the officers held an impressive Oktoberfest that over 250 people attended in the (sadly closed down) Vortexan building. I was in awe of the scale of the event as I had expected it to just be on campus.

Aside from that, the GCCC held various activities like delicious potlucks, game nights, German movie night, and presentations from faculty and students alike. This was all possible due to a passionate group of German students.

Getting in touch with German students there was probably the best decision I've made in college. Within the club, I used the opportunity to make exciting presentations on a topic like the famous romance Tristan & Isolde and the relationship between Germany and Japan between World War I and World War II, sent out e-mails informing students of upcoming GCCC events and made flyers.

This gave me a major sense of accomplishment, and I felt like part of a team rather than alone. As someone who struggles with low self-esteem, this played a major role in improving it.

From there, I branched out to different organizations on campus. January of last year, I branched out to The Houstonian where I write news and arts and entertainment articles. I am also writing for Odyssey where, naturally, I write my viewpoint on college, life and video games, including of course this article you're viewing. None of this would have been possible without the GCCC coming into my life.

Joining student organizations has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life.