Recycling Centers at Every Housing Complex
Politics

It's 2018, There Should Be Recycling Centers At Every Student Housing Complex

Saving the planet should be a little more convenient than driving 10 minutes to a public landfill.

141

A couple of weeks ago, I moved into my new apartment at University Terrace North, which is conveniently located across from UNC Charlotte campus. I was excited to save money without the need for a parking pass, as well as reducing the monthly amount I pay for rent.

When I moved everything into the apartment with me, I included my second kitchen trash can, which I actually use for recyclable items. It was not until I filled this container for this first time that I actually realized I had nowhere to take the contents inside of it.

I remember walking outside to the area where the dumpster is kept at my complex and looking around for a recycling option. This was the first time I had actually tried to carry what I wanted to recycle outside of my apartment, so this was also my first time realizing I might not be able to simply sort my recyclables into containers for a truck to pick up once a week. This had been the situation at my previous apartment, which was certainly appreciated on my part.

My next thought was that maybe the recycling center was at the front of the housing. My apartment building is at the very back of the complex, therefore I might have missed any sign of recycling options because they are just not where I could see them. Needless to say, I was wrong. In fact, I searched all of University Terrace North and found no sign of recycling options. None.

Now, here is where I get a little angry at this situation. I thought about the number of people who live at UT North and the fact that, most likely, none of them recycle. That's so many people! It's hard for me to believe that there haven't been residents in the past who have argued in favor of a recycling center at their apartment. I learned about the benefits of recycling in elementary school, therefore I know it's important simply because it's been stressed to me for so many years now. I think just about anyone can tell you that you should recycle.

Yet here are all of these people who ARE NOT. It's blasphemous.

Of course, I don't blame the residents. You can't exactly recycle if you don't have the resources where you live. The real issue is that the landlord hasn't provided those resources to the residents at University Terrace. I'm not sure what the situation is at other apartment complexes, but I think these kinds of resources should be provided everywhere.

For now, I will take my recyclables to a nearby apartment complex that does recycle. While it is definitely inconvenient adding less trash to the landfill is worth that extra step, in my opinion.

Also, I will definitely be emailing my landlord. It's unacceptable that some student housing complexes don't have recycling options when the planet is suffering like it is.