13 Struggles Of Being A Tall Girl

13 Struggles Every Tall Girl Has No Shortage Of Experience With

It's both blessing and a curse.

236
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=8fe0b2e0e6&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1635598899393385401&th=16b2d088815cd3b9&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8K4Ie_-VurCOfPiEBd0PnEdwNF2Tpc9C4DfcwoyjU2HiEE4G5nrMdfxuIcjVeanVQLp4QW1UdF4ZJSth6OvwzxvChzJ36wIuHqSUJkgjbtjo25yp2_WJpjTUc&disp=emb

I come from a family of really tall men and women. My dad and brother are over six foot and both me and my sister are close. Now that I am older and have stopped growing it isn't such a big deal...but when I was younger I felt like I always stuck out. Being tall also taught me a thing or two, whether it be a pro or con.

1. Constantly having people ask you if you play sports/played sports in high school

All of the athletic genes somehow went to my brother and sister and skipped me entirely. Believe me, I tried to play sports but found it too stressful or that I was physically incapable of doing the sport (which is okay). I cheered in high school and my height came in handy and allowed me to be a great backspot.

2. Always being in the back of pictures, making it look like you're a floating head

I've never been in the front of pictures (like ever in my life). Depending on the way that the picture is taken, sometimes the bodies of the people in front of me completely cover the rest of my body, causing me to look like just a head in the back of the group.

3. Dresses, and jeans were always special ordered or hemmed (and don't even get me started on PJ pants)

When I was in the middle of growing, I had to order my jeans in extra long. Now that I am done growing its not much a problem, but nothing is more aggravating than not being able to just buy the jeans in the store and wearing them the next day and instead of having to wait a few weeks after. When I bought dresses, my mom had to carefully wash them so they wouldn't shrink and become unwearable.

It may just be the way that my body is built, but I have never been able to find pajama pants that actually fit me. When I did find the right length, they were too big around the waist and vice versa.

4. Not being able to find a guy who's taller than you (yes, this is a thing and it matters)

I come from a super small school, so any guy that was taller than me was either like a brother to me or already in a relationship. I remember going to college and seeing a guy that was over six foot and that I immediately wanted to talk to him. As silly as that sounds, it became a real stint in my relationships. If a guy was shorter than me, I only focused on that single personality trait instead of something else.

5. Feeling like you never have enough leg room 

Like I said before, everybody except my mom in my family is close to six foot. It is so irritating when we're all sitting down for dinner and someone is stretching out their legs underneath the entire table. And depending on the car, sometimes a backseat is a tall person's nightmare.

6. Doing that awkward squat when taking pictures with people shorter than you

Do I stand up and make that person look super short?

Or do I squat and have horrible posture?

I may never figure it out.

7. Having people ask you if you can get things off of the top shelf

I got asked this one time by a complete stranger when I was in the grocery store and I didn't really know how to take it.

8. Having a long torso or long legs or, if you're lucky, both

While I have both, my brother and sister have long legs. When I am standing next to my brother, his hip is at my stomach. Having both can be a little tricky when it comes to finding shirts and high waisted shorts. I've had to buy extra-large crop tops because any other size would be obscenely short on me.

9. How awkward it is to hear someone say "wow girl, you're SO tall"

It's like they don't realize that I look in the mirror every day and somehow not notice the most noticeable thing about me. What am I supposed to say to that? Thanks? Or I know?

I may never know.

10. Falling asleep on a couch and taking up the entire couch with your body

Or when you're sleeping on a love seat and half of your body hangs out...that's just the best.

12. Getting in the driver's seat of someone else's care and immediately adjusting the seat 

Whenever my dad would drive my car, I would get in the driver's seat and not even be able to touch the wheel, because it was so far back for me.

13. Never being able to cross your legs after middle school

Ok well maybe I can, but everyone else in my family can't cross their legs for more than a minute. My family is also extremely inflexible, making it impossible for me to do a cartwheel or even a summersault.