The Struggles Of Having A Difficult To Pronounce Name

Not all of us are lucky enough to be a Jane or a Jessica.

49
RuPaul's Drag Race

1. You've gotten some pretty interesting pronunciations

Sometimes people read your name quickly and just blurt out the first pronunciation that comes to mind. Other times they stare at it for a solid fifteen seconds, lips awkwardly fidgeting in silent syllables, before giving it a stab. And 100% of the time, they say it incorrectly. At least you can get some pretty unique nicknames out of these trial and errors! "Guys, from this point onward, I will only answer to Nataleea."

2. You automatically spell your name when people ask for it

Whether it be for a reservation at a restaurant or for an email subscription at your favorite store, you always dive into autopilot when someone asks for your name and spell it out for them. And you can tell from the way their terrified faces relax as soon as you start spelling it that they greatly appreciate your assistance.

3. You've considered getting a legal name change

The temptation to get it legally changed to something people can't possibly mess up is so, so, sovery tempting. (People would probably have an easier time pronouncing "Princess Consuela Banana Hammock" than they would your actual name, honestly.)

4. You're never really sure if people are talking to you

Some of the pronunciations are so wrong that you aren't even sure someone is referring to you. I mean, the gibberish they said starts with the same letter as your name, and there might have been a syllable in there that was right. You usually just end up raising your hand in response anyway. "Oh, okay. So Natla is me. Got it."

5. You're jealous of people with common names

People with common names go through life never realizing how easy they have it, but they do. They have it sofreaking easy. They have been dealt the greatest hand that life has to offer, and they should bathe their parents in love and gratitude everyday for blessing them with a name that no one could possibly ever eff up.

6. You correct people 600 times but they still can't get it right

You try to help people out by telling them the correct pronunciation after they initially butcher it, but it usually doesn't matter. Once they have decided on a pronunciation for your name, it is set in stone. You are now forever the Americanized version of your ethnic name. I am sorry.

BUT HEY. Look on the (only) bright side. At least you never had to worry about sharing your name with six other people in all of your classes growing up!

#NeverForget Ashley A., Ashley R., Ashley S., and Ashley T. all being in the same fourth grade class. At least we never needed our last initial tossed in there for people to remember us!

So embrace your complex name, my fellow people-who-were-born-to-creative-and/or-ethnic-parents! There will always be people out there (no matter how hard they may be to find) who will pronounce it correctly, even if it takes them a few tries to get it right. And never stop correcting people because you deserve to be called the unique and beautiful name you were given!