I'm Not A Scrooge, I'm Jewish And Don't Have To 'Love' Christmas Because It's More Widely Celebrated

"Challah" at me!

204

The holidays are a joyous time for many. From getting time off from work or school to seeing friends and family, and celebrating some of the most popular holidays with gifts, it's a way to end another year with a bang. Although most religions have some kind of holiday they celebrate around Christmas time, it's not the same as actually celebrating Christmas.

After repeatedly hearing "have a Merry Christmas!" from dozens of people, it gets to be annoying that so many assume that everyone celebrates Christmas just because it's the dominant holiday in December. It's frustrating that people can't wish each other "Happy Holidays" that would include Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and New Year's instead of "Merry Christmas" and respect the fact that we live in a very diverse world where not everyone celebrates that holiday.

When you don't celebrate Christmas and the day finally rolls around, it can be a drag to get through. My family usually does the "Jew thing" where we go to the movies and get Chinese food for dinner with all of the other Jewish people in the area. Some go to other people's houses to celebrate with them, but it's still not the same as celebrating yourself. There is something magical about putting up your own Christmas tree and decorating the house with lights and ornaments that is missed by those who don't celebrate the holiday.

From constantly hearing Christmas music, to seeing pictures with Santa and Christmas trees wherever you go, by the time Christmas comes, people who don't celebrate it are ready for it to be over. It's especially hard to enjoy Christmas time when your holiday doesn't fall near Christmas.

Sometimes Hanukkah begins in November, so is far over before Christmas begins. When this happens, not only does it make Christmas harder to get through, but it also doesn't give us the same opportunity to celebrate our holiday as people who celebrate Christmas get. We don't get off from work or school to celebrate our holidays, as almost everyone does to celebrate Christmas or Easter.

In fact, this year I missed some Hanukkah because I was still at school in the last weeks of classes and finals and couldn't come home to celebrate with my family. We get jipped of celebrating our holidays that people who celebrate the dominate holidays often take for granted.

However, to all who celebrate, I wish you a Merry Christmas. For those of you who don't, take this time to still enjoy the company of your friends and family and Happy Holidays!