United We Stand, Divided We Fall

In case you missed it or hid out under a rock on Tuesday, Donald Trump was elected the president of the United States on Tuesday. Since then, there have been news stories, speeches, tweets, protests, memes, Facebook posts, and so much more. If you were hoping things would die down like I did, you were wrong.

If you’ve noticed anything from this election, pretty much everyone is angry. Whether your candidate won or not, supporters for each candidate are outraged. Supporters for Clinton are upset that Trump still won based off of the electoral votes. Supporters for Trump are angry about having to listen to the opinions and turmoil of those that voted for Clinton. Supporters for other candidates are upset that their candidate didn’t win. Essentially what we have is one irate nation.

If you’re anything like myself, you’re probably asking what you should be doing. Even without cable television, you still find posts about the election throughout your feeds on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. I have female friends, friends in the POC community, and friends in the LGBTQ community that are filled with anguish. I know people that are concerned for their basic rights. I have a friend who was set to marry this year and may not be able to. I have friends that had panic attacks over the results of the election. Friends that have shed tears. But I also have friends that remain indifferent over the results. I know people that are tired of listening to the outcry of others. I know people who “don’t see what the big deal is.” I know people that are choosing to continue their routines. Basically, I know people who voted Clinton and people that voted Trump.

I’ve also come to the sense of confusion. If you’ve watched the speeches and news stories, you’ll see a change in Trump’s demeanor. Or you’ll see where people still want to get Clinton in office but there’s almost no response from her. I’m unsure of what the future holds honestly and there are opinions from people that suggest I should be afraid and opinions of people that suggest I have nothing to worry about.

Here’s what I will tell you though: I know who I voted for. I have an open mind. I know people that voted for each party. With the complete amount of uncertainty for what the future holds, it’s safe to say that emotions are on high and this is valid. For everyone. I will also say, I didn’t suggest to anyone who they should vote for as I know you can’t force that down anyone’s throat. And as this remains true for the election, it remains true for the post-election. I have seen copious amounts of posts on social media and articles telling people how to feel. I have seen posts and articles telling people to “stop” feeling. I have seen posts and articles telling people to turn against others based off of their opinions, based off of who they voted for, based off of their actions after the results have turned in. I have seen posts overcome with hate from people that claim they want nothing but calm waters and love amongst everyone they know. So hear me when I say this: stop shaming people. Yes, there is a call to action but in my mind, at this point, it isn’t based off of the election. It’s based off of the general amount of hate people have in their hearts. Please remind yourselves that the president is one person. One person that governs a nation. But this person does not govern the hearts of any citizen that resides in the nation. We, as individuals, do. We have the power to take course over our actions and we have the power to decide if we want to spread love or spread hate. That’s not up to our president. He or she has no say in the feelings and actions that are demonstrated towards one another.

So if you’re going to preach a desire for a world filled with love, act like it. Remind yourself that you’re the only person that controls that. Stop saying you’re going to show love and actually do something about it. Treat the people you know with respect and if you can’t find it in your heart to do that, at least show tolerance. Don’t shame someone for their choices, find it in your heart to love and live in the country that gives them the freedom to do so. Love will always drive out hate while hate will get us nowhere. As a nation, we take pride in the motto “United We Stand, Divided We Fall” and we should act like it.