Streaming vs Broadcast

Broadcast Viewing Is Getting Left Behind By Streaming Services

Streaming services are running cable shows off this generation's radar.

61

As a kid, I can remember waiting around for my favorite show to come on at a specific time, and I can remember planning my days around it because if I missed the showing, I would have to wait at least 24 hours to see it again.

Before that kids would sit around and wait for their favorite radio station, which is completely bizarre to me, but now even my childhood way of viewing shows is becoming strange and ancient.

Kids don't know anything but streaming and recording. The idea of waiting around to view their favorite show is foreign, and waiting for a week for a new episode is almost completely in the dust. With all the streaming networks releasing their own shows, the culture has shifted to binge-viewing rather than appointment-viewing, because they release all the episodes at once.

For example last October, Nielsen Holdings said that the second season of "Stranger Things" had been completely viewed by 8.8 Million people with 72 hours of releases, and 361,000 people had viewed the entire season within 24 hours. There are 9 episodes each about an hour or so, so 361,000 people spent nine hours of one specific day just watching this show.

Now, this data is also only counting 18-49-year-olds in the US, so it is not entirely accurate for the global viewing and the viewing of minors, which is probably a large audience for this show. But even just this data is quite depressing; 361,000 people wasted 9 hours out of the 24 we are allotted to watch a show.

Now I am no saint, I know I binge shows all the time, but I can remember the early days of Netflix before Netflix and Chill was a thing, when you had to make a queue of DVDs to be mailed to your house, and would only be swapped when you returned your current ones. My sister and I would bicker about which movies should be put at the top of the list. I am pretty sure that feature of Netflix doesn't even exist anymore.

Netflix has also paved the road for all the other streaming sites that are taking over. The only thing that really saved the Broadcast is the on-demand feature and obviously the DVR. But more and more people, in my own personal experience, people are getting rid of pay TV and sticking strictly to the streaming sites for their entertainment because it is cheaper and there is no or very limited advertising interruption.

Disney came out just the other day with more details as to their own streaming service. It will be released in 2019 when their contract with Netflix ends and will exclusively include many Disney shows and movies, with the possibility of their own new original content following that of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Before we know it every network will have their own streaming service and have their own original content to entice consumers to subscribe.

Watching and studying this change even just in my own lifetime is incredible. The media industry is constantly changing, I am sure the landscape of entertainment will look completely different even in just a few short years and maybe I am just sentimental, but I miss the waiting and anticipation of watching a show on cable or watching a movie and having a commercial break right before the climax, so you have to wait even longer to find out what happens.

Growing up with Broadcast made me appreciate shows more because it was a luxury rather than something that you can just view any time any place. Kids today take all this mindless entertainment for granted, more than they even know.