Strangest College Mascots

Strangest College Mascots

These mascots are all questionable on their own, but make you question their University even more. What were you thinking?

1187
Strangest College Mascots

I don’t think there is a single college where students don’t know who their mascot is or have at least met them. I remember my orientation at Ohio University where I met the Ohio University Bobcat, Rufus. Since the day I met him at orientation, I saw him on my opening weekend freshman year, at many sporting events, and other smaller events. A school's mascot is important and appreciated by the students. What would be an Ohio State football game be without Brutus the Buckeye? They are a key part in students school pride and spirit. They pump the crowds up and get people involved in the games or whatever they are doing on campus. Many schools have your normal kind of mascots such as any type of cat (Tigers, Bobcats, Bearcats, Lions, and more), Rockets, Bulldogs, Mustangs, and more. These are all things that we can understand why they were chosen to represent their presented schools. These kinds of Mascots are intimidating or show power of the school. Obviously you wouldn’t want to have a great sports team and be called “The Butterflies”. It would just be embarrassing, not to mention all the jokes you would get. Well there were some schools I found who took a different route with choosing what would represent their school, and many I found comical. I don’t know why they picked these mascots, but here are some of the weirdest college mascots in the United States.

1. Dutch- Hope University's Flying Dutchman

So this first photo is their mascot, an old man with a beard cheering his team on graciously to victory.

but we all know when you read "Flying Dutchman" you automatically thought of this...

2. Speedy- The Evergreen State College Geoduck

When I first heard this one I wondered what in the hell is a geoduck? I thought maybe it was some weird type of duck but oh boy was I wrong. The definition of a geoduck is a "Giant mud-borrowing bivalve Mollusk occurring on the west coast of North America, where it is collected for food. Its shell valves are not large enough to enclose its body and very long siphon."

This is a real geoduck, and we all know what you are thinking...

and this is the lovely Geoduck mascot which we are all unsure what we are thinking...

3. "The Fighting Pickle"- North Carolina School of the Arts

At least UNCSA has a mascot, many art schools don't but why a pickle?

4. "Sammy"- University of California at Santa Cruz Banana Slug

A Banana slug is a slug that lives in North Carolina that has the coloring of a banana. They are mostly yellow, but sometimes have yellow spots like a ripe banana.

5. "Artie"- Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichoke

Eat your greens!! Amirite??

6. "Fighting Okra" - Delta State University

What is better than having a southern vegetable with boxing gloves represent your school? Frying it and eating it.

7. "Keggy the Keg"- Dartmouth University

This one isn't weird at all instead it is just awesome. It is disowned by the University, but the students love it and can always look forward to seeing him leading the student section.

8. "Scrotie"- Rhode Island School of Design Nads

Scrotie is a cute little nickname for their mascot and I bet you can guess what Scrotie is short for. Yes, this a real college mascot, and I am not just messing with you.