'Stranger Things' Review

'Stranger Things' Review

Netflix's summer hit.

17
'Stranger Things' Review

What did I binge watch this summer? "Stranger Things." I loved this show for so many reasons and I am excited for the second season. Normally, shows have some episodes that just seem to drag on. However, this is not the case for "Stranger Things." It starts with a bang and maintains that momentum all through the show. When I first heard about this show I was worried that it would have lame graphics, I couldn't have been more wrong. The story, graphics, and cinematography is comparable to a film by Steven Spielberg.

"Stranger Things" is a Netflix original and has 8 episodes. It was created by Matt and Ross Duffer and is set in the 1980s. It is about a young boy who mysteriously vanishes from a small town in Indiana. To me, this show is a mash-up between "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial," "Stand By Me," "Alien" and "The Goonies." Like these classic films, "Stranger Things" is pleasantly creepy without being gross or extreme. This makes the show perfect for all ages. While watching this show it is easy to play 'name that reference.'

In my opinion, the greatest strength of this show is in its young actors and actresses. The character Eleven/Elle (played by Millie Brown) is a key figure in the series and if Millie hadn't executed her performance as flawlessly as she had the series would have been ruined. The other actors did good as well. Unlike many other young actors, none of the ones in this show seemed to be doing their performance theatrical. This made the group mesh well and made the show so you can binge it without getting annoyed with the actors. The younger characters are innocent, sarcastic, and have a fierce loyalty to one another.

Haven't seen it yet? Check out the trailer so you can be part of this amazing show.