Why Being Strange Is So Important, Particularly When You Look The Part

Believe it or not, there's a method to all this madness.

8
Ricki Palmisano

Personally, walking around with pointed black brows has led to only good things, including a huge boost of confidence. I feel like an iconic Disney villain, or a character straight from a Tim Burton toon, and I love it. Without them drawn on I am naked, but not in a way that I’ve lost something about myself. Oh, no. Through my eclectic style and past experiences alone I’ve learned that I’m pretty awesome on my own. What I lose is a piece of battle armor to go through the day with. The haters can’t touch this when I can start a hurricane with a quirk of my brow. People who look at me strange just don’t know me because they are intimidated by the confidence I have. I’ve found less people will try to push me around when my brows are as black as my lips and mascara.

It doesn’t stop with the makeup, but that seems to be what people notice first. I didn’t start dressing strange on purpose; I simply slipped naturally into the habit by my own accord since middle school. Kids tend to have a natural instinct, and mine was to buy a grey and green stripped cardigan from Goodwill. Or a black sparkly corset, or red one, or a purple suede shirt with metal holes down the sleeves. While I didn’t bring these pieces to college with me, many people have probably seen me with space-print shoes, velvet pants, a black shirt and eyeball necklace enough to know that none of these things should be surprising. I’ve been unbelievably lucky to find that I like what I do, while other people are just now beginning to emerge into their own now.

If I am still wearing whatever I feel that day, I've found that it gives others permission as well. People out there who dress just as outlandishly at times will probably agree. At conventions I've been approached by professional businessmen, who walked out of their boring convention over to me and a friend just because we looked interesting, and we made their days. They talked for a solid half hour with us, and their faces lit up. We rejuvenated them by simply being our strange selves.

But beyond all the blessings, dressing up just for fun goes a little deeper. If I am the ridiculous one, the person to be just outlandish enough to make others smile or think, then I am making other people more comfortable. I’ll be the girl that does something hilarious on the dance floor just so others will jump on in, knowing that there’s no way to be embarrassed anymore. I’ve transcended the point of being embarrassed about myself because feeling so is a choice, and that’s what so many people don’t get. If we all were a little less ashamed, and maybe a little more ridiculous, embracing ourselves to the fullest extent, we would all be a little happier. More people would dance, more trees would grow, the bees would be thriving and the earth would be saved!

…okay, maybe not that far. But if a few people would be willing to let go of a false sense of shame that should be comfort, the world would be a little less sad and a little more colorful. Besides, the day we all stop trying new things is the day the human race would become a little less interesting. We wouldn’t have rock and roll, or high fashion, or even democracy if you want to take it that far. If looking like an idiot means I’m having the best time of my life, then bring on the heart-shaped sunglasses with flowers on top. Besides, what's the point of being an adult if you don't get to be a child sometimes?