The Story Of The Parrot, Prince, And A Princess

A romantic short story

340
Payson Library

There once was a parrot looking for a pair of shoes for its parrot feet. Not track shoes, hiking shoes, or dancing shoes, this parrot can't run, hike or dance. Parrot can't dance, no, parrot's dancing is nasty, not fun, not neat. One shoe here, one shoe there, and one for it's little parrot beak. But once upon a year, that parrot encountered our two characters; twas the year yet parrot met our prince and princess. But what parrot didn't know is that it just years earlier that it all began for the prince and princess.

Twas the year 2016, Thomas Edison, whoever that is didn't invent that thingymabob so the prince was fireside writing stories to a girl he had just met, or was it a shopping list for his mom. But at that particular moment fireside, with the cold, empty house, the stairs tucked neatly in the back right, behind him, there's a room upstairs. King sized with a fluffy comforter, dented so sexily to the corner where his cat McGiggles lay. It's been years alone in that home with McGiggles. He brought friends over for hand puppeteering but other than that he can see the disappointment and secondhand embarrassment in McGiggles' eyes.

"Not today McGiggles!", he yells upstairs, half heartedly. After meeting this girl that evening, he doesn't know if she feels the same way, that she too wants to lay with him in bed. He can only think of her and him in bed with McGiggles. After meeting this one girl in the market, those burgundy sheets don't sound so appealing without her with him. He needs to see her there with him underneath those sheets, he desperately needed to feel the spark, the warmth tingly feeling, the excitement that only he knows fireside that he can feel with her with him and his cat in his bed.

What was it that he loved about her that day in the market? Was it her beautiful brown hair laid perfectly on her chest, the way her necklace laid upon her breast? Or was it the way her eyes although he knows impossible sparkled fantastically as he made contact with hers? Was it the way her eyes, her necklace, and her freckles worked so perfectly together that he desperately wanted a kiss on her lips? One kiss he says, one night under his covers; just cuddling he says. "I've gotta go slow, McGiggles", he calls up still half-heartedly, unsure. But, sitting there frozen, as he stares blankly, half at his quill and half at the fire, he knows deep inside that once he kisses her, he wouldn't, couldn't, can't stop, for to fight against one's deepest desires wouldn't be right, wouldn't be healthy.

The prince falls asleep that night, waking up cold, smokey as the fire had gone out just minutes before he woke. He looks down and vaguely recalls the love poem he's written for his new crush- "roses are green, McGiggles is fluffy, baby I just met you, but you're so lovely"- blah blah blah. He looks at the glass in the clock and freaks, he's late for his walk in the orchard with the princess, the walk that's scheduled for just a few minutes ago. Considering he walks best in his boxers, he rushes upstairs to get changed.

When the prince arrived, he spotted the princess right away. How could he miss those freckles, those eyes, and that hair?? How could he not fall head over heals for in that dress? He's seen her yesterday yet seeing her next to the cherry blossom tree, how her dress not only compliments the necklace hugging her neck but makes every blossom she reads under all the more beautiful. It wasn't until he was a few dozen feet away that she looked up, that she heard the shuffle of the brownish green grass under his feet. It was then with that same sparkle of her eyes that he has drilled into his head that they rushed together embracing under the pretty pink tree.

That night they slowly made way to the bedroom, they were so invested his house must have felt like just a rock throw to the orchard. The following morning the Prince surprised the Princess with a bacon and eggs breakfast and a kiss as she sat down. Only on the other side of the room, by the look and location of McGiggles the next morning, the prince and princess had a wonderful noisy night of passion. McGiggles, who really was the main character of the story now sleeps where the prince originally wrote his poem to the princess. In fact just a month later, the prince and princess came to the parrot's convenience store to buy cool kitten shoes for McGiggles and his boo.