Stop Thanking Flo

Stop Thanking Flo

Others still don't have clean water.

60
https://www.instagram.com/hurricaneflorence2018/
Instagram

Hurricane Florence very graciously decided to avoid hammering down on Charleston, South Carolina. For that, I know many natives, tourists, and students (myself included) are appreciative. However, that doesn't really call for Instagram posts thanking "Flo."

I understand wanting to express gratitude for the lack of destruction here, but most of the posts I scroll through say things like,

"Thanks for not destroying my favorite place" or "Not this time Flo."

Again, I am grateful for Charleston's state after the hurricane, but there are many places and people's lives who were destroyed elsewhere.

Captions and witty tweets about Hurricane Florence are a little too insensitive toward the people who have lost their lives, homes, pets, and family members to a horrific natural disaster. These hurtful posts have been a growing trend in the last few years when devastating hurricanes have ripped through not only the U.S. or Puerto Rico but other countries too.

A year has passed since Hurricane Irma hit Puerto Rico and people are still continuing to get electricity back. Others still don't have clean water.

A year has passed since Harvey hit Texas and many people's homes are not rebuilt.

The list of disasters left in the wake of Hurricanes is endless. This isn't something funny to make a witty Insta caption about.

Instead, show gratitude for your safety by donating to people in need. Volunteer and aid with the necessary resources to help the communities affected. But please, don't brag on the internet about still having your possessions when people lost their lives.

My heart goes out to all of the people in North Carolina and beyond that were so badly affected by this storm. Nature isn't something to mess with (or thank for that matter). My heart is with the families who lost what was irreplaceable.